An Open Letter to High School Seniors

An Open Letter to High School Seniors

Time is fleeting, so enjoy the moment!

590
An Open Letter to High School Seniors
Twitter

Dear High School Senior,

Let me just start by saying, this is it. This is the year that you’ve been waiting for since you walked through the doors as a little freshman, backpack loaded down with far more supplies than you could ever need. This is the year that your parents have had in the back of their minds since they tearfully dropped you off in your kindergarten classroom. Consequently, this is also a year of finality. As you embark on this journey, I’m here to give you a few pieces of advice to help better prepare you for the future.

Cherish Time with Your Family

I don’t care if you and your family were attached at the hip throughout your schooling or if you hid in your bedroom and pretended that they didn’t exist; now is the time to cherish your loved ones, and let them do every little embarrassing thing they can think of. Years from now, you will think back on those memories fondly. Nothing can prepare you for the way you will feel after graduation when reality sets in and you realize that nothing will be quite the same again. As a child, you more than likely saw your family every day. Mom and dad were always there, and you did everything together. As a young adult, you probably gained a little independence and learned how to do a few things (or a lot of things) on your own. For many students, senior year is the last solid time you and your family will have together to just be, and for you to enjoy being a child. If this is you, hold on tight and cherish these memories.

Embrace Your Friendships

One thing that I hadn’t appreciated until I had already graduated was the simple joy of having the opportunity to eat lunch with your friends five days a week, nine months of the year. Once you’ve graduated, socializing and keeping in touch won’t come so easy anymore. You have to make the effort to reach out to one another because your friends won’t just show up at the lunch table at 12:30 every day, ready to tell you the newest tidbit of information about their lives. Not only that, but nothing compares to the bond you have with your friends now. The carefree (sort of) friendships you share with fellow members of the theater department or the volleyball team differ from the ones you will have in the future. These are the people who knew you when you were young and were there for you in one of the most uncertain times of your life while you were discovering who you are. Everyone changes and flames burn out, and that’s okay, but remember how close you once were with a smile and know that they are important.

Enjoy Being a Senior

Eventually, memories of your youth will begin to fade, and you will no longer be able to recall what it’s like to sit in a high school cafeteria and converse with your friends, or how it felt to walk through the hallways during passing periods. Your young adult life is something that you should value, because once it has past, you can’t get it back. Go to prom and the football games, and let yourself have a little fun. Things like the commencement ceremony and senior prom only happen once.

There is an infinite number of “finals” your senior year, and not just the ones you take in class. Your last first day, last day, the last time parking in your parking spot. Some are big and some are small, but they are all significant in their own way. Take photos, revel in them, whatever you would like to do, but enjoy having them. In high school, you have a thousand and one chances to learn and make mistakes. This is the time to make them! Learn, ask questions and enjoy not paying bills while you still can.

Take Advantage of Teachers and Counselors

There’s something special about being in a high school class. The teachers are different, the coursework is different, and the environment is different. Your teachers are there for you, and class sizes are still small, so they can give more one on one attention. If you need help, ask. If a particular teacher means a lot to you, let them know. When you need guidance, don’t forget about your counselors and mentors. They are there to help prepare you for what lies ahead, and most are more than ready to offer a bit of advice.

Don’t Waste Time

While I pointed out that you should enjoy being a kid, your senior year is also the time to prepare for life after high school. If you’re planning to attend an institution of higher education, begin applying as early as possible. Time is of the essence, and the earlier you apply the better. Apply for scholarships, or look for possible job opportunities. Look into your future occupation, whatever that may be, because you can never be too prepared. Talk to someone in the career you are considering a get a head start, the more people you know the better. There are countless opportunities out there, whether you are looking to attend college or not, so take advantage of them.

Look forward to and embrace this new season of your life, but remember your past in a way that propels you forward. Some students get so stuck in the past or worry so much about the future that they forget about the present, while some only obsess over the present. If you remember one thing from this letter, let it be to cherish each moment, and look forward to the future without regret.

Good luck, and have the time of your life!