Some Advice For The High School Class of 2018

As you prepare for college, I'm gonna learn you something.

547
Michelle Hatfield Johnson

Dear Class of 2018,

With the academic year coming to an end within the next few months, many of you will be embarking on your college journies. Starting college can be both exciting and nerve-wracking. You may think you're prepared, but the truth of the matter is college is completely unpredictable. There's no way for you to be completely prepared for everything that is about to come your way.

Given my track record of simultaneously transferring schools and switching majors, I'm certainly no expert on college. However, I would like to think I learned a thing or two in the three years I've been on this journey. With that being said, here are eight things I want to y'all to know as y'all head off to college.

1. Don't be afraid to ask for help.

A new campus, potentially a new city, and being freshmen can be really intimidating. But fear not, it is likely most of the people at your new school are more than happy to help you figure things out.

2. Try to avoid missing class as much as possible.

Trust me, I know this is easier said than done. However, falling into this habit makes it really easy to fall behind in class and professors don't typically like the "Did I miss anything last class?" question because you both know that you did.

3. Talk to the people in your classes.

Not only are you going to be making potential friendships, but now you also have study buddies and people to send you notes if you do happen to miss a class.

4. Go to your professors' office hours.

By doing this, it'll express your interest and concern for what's going in the class. It'll also help you get to know them, which is another good piece of advice.5

5. Go to the student org fairs.

Being involved on campus not only helps you make more friends, but it also will look good on a resume later on.

6. RENT YOUR BOOKS.

If you don't already know, buying college textbooks can be a big waste money, especially if you use the campus bookstore. There are many options out there, but I personally recommend using the rental services that both Amazon and Chegg provide.

7. If you have the opportunity to do something, do it.

Recently, I was able to travel to Cleveland, Ohio to watch Eastern play in the MAC Tournament Semifinal and that is an experience I'll never forget. Even though we lost, it was still fun to make these new memories.

8. CLICHE WARNING: It's not going to be easy, but it's going to be worth it.

I'm going to be straight up here, college is not easy by any means. It'll bring you a whole new level of emotions. Somedays you are going to love it, somedays you are going to hate it, somedays you may even seriously consider dropping out. This is also a time where you go through A LOT of personal growth and development. You're starting to figure out what you like, what you don't like, and what you truly want. You may gain some friends, you may lose some friends, you may even completely rebrand yourself and that's all okay.

So there you go Class of 2018, this is my advice to you. There are plenty of other things that could've made the list but, college is different for everybody and these are some pretty general things to take into consideration. I wish you all the best of luck in your future endeavors.

Sincerely,

A Class of 2015 Graduate