Here's Why I Write

As a nursing major, People often ask me: "Why do you write articles every other week when it has nothing to do with your major?" It's a common and valid question. The reality of it, the internet has given me a platform where I can share my experiences, lessons, and wisdom to many. As a third-year college student, I am still figuring things out.

Writing for Odyssey has allowed me to have a platform to tell my highs, my lows, and everything in between. It's true, this has nothing to do with my major! I realized I can write and help others through their college experience. In a way, it's indirectly what I want to do. Odyssey has allowed me to share my struggles but also show I overcame them.

Just maybe I gave the reader hope that whatever they are going through will get better. I have the power to crush the stereotypes about sorority's and show the raw truth about what they are because that's part of my life now. I have the power to write relatable content that the everyday college student can understand.

Writing allows me to take a step back and put life in a bigger picture. I live a fast-paced life, but an hour every two weeks, I get to look back and reflect on what is going in my life. Then I have the choice of whether I get to write about it. People often say that our generation posts everything online. Perhaps that is true, I can attest to that. But it's simply the time. I have family who lives hours away. I have friends who don't live in the state. Writing an article, writing a post doesn't necessarily mean I'm "sharing every little detail." It means I'm telling my story. We have a voice and this is an excellent platform to be able to share it. People often forget that it takes one person to make a change. I wanna be that one. Everyone should want to be that one.

Yes, it may not always correlate to my major, but helping one person is better than no one. Take an hour out of your day and write. Write your thoughts, your fears, your excitement- I guarantee you will feel better.