An Open Letter to my Anxiety

An Open Letter to my Anxiety

Hello Anxiety, Goodbye Life

40
An Open Letter to my Anxiety

Here lately I've struggled with anxiety. It's no foreign language to me, however, every time it flares up, it feels brand new. He's like that friend who's only your friend when it's convenient for them, you know the one that treats you like a door mat and comes and goes as he pleases. So,

Dear Anxiety,

I hate you; with every fiber of my being, do I loathe the feelings you bring upon me. I used to be such a happy-go-lucky person, but you've brought me to this place of deep and dark despair. I try so hard to ignore you and focus on the more important things in life like work and school, but you seem to taunt me like the devil and dance around my lungs, leaving me breathless in the worst sense of the phrase.

You're inconsiderate of my plans; "oh you have a really important assignment due? oh you have a test? let me just vacate your mental and mess that up for you." Inconsiderate is probably an understatement for you because you have ruined so many good moments for me. You're like running a marathon I didn't sign up for that completely kicks my ass in the long-run, literally. I attend a wonderful university with a wonderful faculty and staff; however, you go out of your way to make it an unpleasant experience for me. I struggle to get through these school weeks instead of enjoying the simplicity of learning.

You may come and go as you please, but please stay the hell out. I'm not vacant for you now, nor was I vacant to begin with. It must be fun to play the devil in your relationships with every person you contaminate with your negative thoughts and emotions, as you do so lovingly, but very very destructively at the same time. So,

Thank you Anxiety. Thank you for teaching me how to breathe in times of despair, and how to fall down but get right back up, and for the battle within my inner self and my academic and social performances, AND *drum roll* last, but surely not least, thanks for ruining the most exciting part of my life: college. I hope you rot in hell.