Hedgehogs As Pets: Do's And Don'ts

Hedgehogs As Pets: Do's And Don'ts

There's a lot to learn before even thinking about getting your first hedgie baby.

5827
Hedgehogs As Pets: Do's And Don'ts
Alexandra Lindeman

For those of us with little hedgie babies, we know that they can be a lot to handle. It's important to read up on hedgehog care before even thinking about getting one to make sure you can properly take care of them. There are tons of sites online to get an in-depth read, but some of the basics are this:

Do:Give your hedgehog a cage large enough for them to run around with a large wheel inside. They must have a wheel to run on at night. Make sure that it is not a wire wheel so that they don't cut up their feet.

Don't: Put them in a hamster cage. These cages are way too small and some have added compartments that also aren't big enough for hedgehogs.

Do:Feed your hedgehog live mealworms in moderation (or dried ones if they don't like them live -- my girl is a princess and only eats them fresh).

Don't:Feed them multiple mealworms every day. Mealworms are just to be given as a treat, only one or two a day, three if you haven't given them any in a while and only a few days a week. Mealworms are very high in fat and hedgehogs are prone to obesity.

Do: Take your hedgehog out and play with them to make them more friendly. If your hedgehog isn't very friendly when you first get them, it is most likely because they don't know you/your scent. Hedgehogs can't see very well, so they rely heavily on scent. The more you handle them, the more comfortable they will be because they recognize your smell.

Don't:Never take your hedgehog out because they are always hissing or curled up. Just be gentle and place your hand next to them, let them realize who you are, and then slide your hand under their belly to scoop them up.

Do:Get a playpen for your hedgehog for when they are out of the cage. Hedgehogs love to bury and hide in dark spaces so be sure you have a large area that is gated for them to play in so they don't run off and hide.

Don't:Leave your hedgehog unattended outside of a playpen or cage. They will hide wherever they can find and it'll probably be in a place that you never even thought to check. They don't make much noise besides hissing, so it could be hard to find them.

Do:Give your hedgehog table treats such as veggies, fruits and unseasoned meats. You'll have to find out what they like and make sure you read up on what's good and bad to give them. They can even have cooked eggs and most baby foods, particularly sweet potatoes -- just make sure there are no added by-products or unhealthy preservatives.

Don't:Give your hedgehog lactose. Hedgies are lactose intolerant, so make sure you read the label on the dry cat food that you are regularly feeding them (their staple diet). Also, be sure to get weight control cat food so that your hedgehog doesn't get overweight, which is very common.

Do:Give your hedgehog a bath every once in a while. If you notice them scratching a lot or that their nails are dirty, give them a bath in the sink. Make sure the water is warm as hedgehogs are used to warm climates and their body thinks "hibernation" when they are cold. Because of this, you also need to make sure that your hedgehog is completely dry before putting them back in their cage. Keep them out and play with them or hold them in a towel for a while.

Don't:Use a scented soap when cleaning your hedgehog. Use a non-scented soap if you decide to use soap -- usually baby soaps or baby oil are the best for their skin. A scented soap will really irritate them and they will constantly be anointing on themselves trying to get the smell to go away.

Do:Put a little box in your hedgehog's cage as soon as you get them. You can put real litter in there so that they can also use it as a dust bath, or once they figure out that this is where they go to the bathroom you can start using paper towels and changing them out daily. If the box is there, your hedgehog will know to use it -- you just have to provide it.

Don't:Let your hedgehog use the bathroom anywhere in their cage that they want. A litter box will be the best thing you ever do, trust me. It must be in there from the start though. If you go the first few weeks without one they will not know that this is where they need to go. Even just one week is too long for them. Make a litter box a priority -- it will cut down on cage cleaning and bathing.

There is so much more to go over, but these are just some basics that you definitely need to know. If you notice anything wrong with your hedgehog be sure to take them to the vet, but you may have to search around for an exotic vet in your area because not all vets deal with hedgehogs. Hedgehogs are prone to tumors and cancers, so it's definitely important to get them checked out if you notice anything. And don't be offended if your hedgehog isn't super lovable, it's just in their nature! It may take time for them to warm up to you or they may never fully open up -- there's no way to tell. Just take it day by day and don't be afraid of them.