How To Stay Healthy During The Holiday Season

The holidays are literally my favorite time of the year, but they also are known to cause people to pack on a few extra pounds. Before reading any further, you should know that I am NOT here to tell you not to eat all of nana's yummy food. I am here to encourage you to have a healthier relationship with food this holiday season.

Don't pass up the cookies and then proceed to tell all 500 of your relatives that you are paleo now. No body wants to hear about your new Atkins bod while they proceed to take a slice of the pumpkin pie. Food during the holidays brings people together and is a crucial part of our family memories. If you are trying to be health conscious during the holidays (as you should be) here are some healthy and POLITE ways to do so without bringing your protein shake to the dinner table.

Have a plan

Know what parties you have in advance and plan your other meals accordingly! Example: If you know you have the office party Monday night, eat a healthy breakfast and lunch so you can en your co-workers famous Christmas cookies at dinner.

Lots of H2O

Keeping your water intake higher than usual will help flush out toxins and keep you hydrated and healthy throughout the day. Also, drinking lots of water will help you feel fuller and less thirsty, leading to overall less extra calories.

Bring the healthy plate to the party

If you are in charge of bringing a plate to the party, use this as an opportunity to bring something healthy to the party!

Don't quit working out

It may seem easier and easier to say "Well, I'm already off track might as well not work out" but even if its just a little activity, it DOES matter! This will also make it less probable that you give up working out all together!

Indulge in moderation

Do not force yourself to say no! If you want a piece of aunt Judy's pie, JUST EAT IT. I'm not saying eat the whole thing, but a small sliver to keep you satisfied will do you more good than regretting it and trying to eat something else to satisfy the craving.

Remember its not all about the food 

The holidays aren't all about food! Enjoy family, traditions, whatever ya do.

Take walks

Getting vertical after a big meal is less than ideal, but a walk will help tremendously with digestion and won't leave you in such a huge food coma.

Take your vitamins 

Keep doing your normal thing. It can be easy to slip up and just stop doing what you normally do. Take your vitamins and keep up your daily health habits.

Eat smaller portions 

Enjoy all your favorite foods, and just eat smaller portions. This will keep you from feeling so full your gonna die, but you will also feel satisfied.

It is easy to loose track of your calories between all of the office parties, cookie swaps, and family meals. But you don't have to give all that up to stay healthy throughout the holidays. Make memories and follow these simple tips to ensure the healthiest holidays yet!