I Hate You If: You Did This To Me At The Gym

Which one are you guilty of?

71
Twitter

For those of you who go to the gym on a regular basis, I'm sure you have developed a pet peeve of sorts. From cardio killers to heavy lifters, there is that ONE thing or person that just sets you on edge.

So congratulations, I'm lifting my protein shake to you today, because I'm roasting the s*** out of you in this listicle.

Without further ado,

I HATE YOU IF

1. You don't rack your weights.

You were probably that one guest the host actually had to clean up after when you go to a house for dinner, because it's like you've never been taught courtesy... in your ENTIRE life!!!! Did your kindergarten teacher never tell you that you need to clean up after yourself when you go over to someone else's house?
While yes, you are paying to be at the gym, the same damn rules apply. I'm not going to break my ankle walking through a path that should be clear. If I do, I'm suing you.
CLEAN. YOUR STUFF. UP.

2. Leave your dirty gym towels EVERYWHERE.

I really need to draw the line at sweaty, gross, sometimes bloody towels lying on benches, weight racks, cardio machines, whatever. It looks like an anti-hygenic tornado swept the area, and it wants to claim me (and the poor gym staff) as un-wanting victims.
Especially, ESPECIALLY when something has your perspiration and skin cells on it, CLEAN IT UP.

3. Don't wipe down equipment.

If you're sweating on it, you should be wiping it. (This applies to rollers) I don't want MRSA from you, a stranger, whose body was sweating all over this equipment. I don't want to be feeling or smelling you when I lay down on the mats to work out. #motiviationmurderer

Meet your new best friend.

4. You wear things that are WAY too short.

I actually wrote a paper called "The Pornification of the Fitness World" (or something like that), and has a lot to do with this problem. Yes, I do agree that you have the right to wear what you want to, BUT you shouldn't wear something that your a** is hanging out of when you go to the gym. I say that for two reasons:
A) I'm not your S.O. I don't want to see more of you than I should be seeing unless I'm at the beach. Even if your body is Ronda Rousey or The Rock worthy, I still don't need to see your junk or your trunk.
B) MRSA. MRSA everywhere. Put some clothes on, your health insurance and your pride will thank me later.

5. You stand in front of me while I'm lifting.

I DO NOT care if you're the skinniest or buffest person in the free weights (or machines) area: you do NOT stand in front of someone while they are lifting, especially if they're lifting heavy.
To be honest, I find this problem happens a lot when guys are around me. There are some guys who notice I am there, and notice that I am lifting, but they continue to walk in front of my view, or even just start lifting right in front of me. Just because I am lifting a smaller weight than you doesn't give you priority over the mirror. I need it too, so I can focus on form and ensure I don't get injured.

Friendly advice, or you're gonna get a weight dropped on your foot.

6. You scare the s*** out of me.

I grunt and pep-talk myself. But I do so quietly.
War cries are not permitted. Slamming the weights: not permitted. Stop yelling every time you do a power lift unless you're competing, and the same goes for dropping weights.
Yelling and slamming the weights usually indicates there is a problem. So don't cry wolf to the supervising staff and the people around you.

7. You talk on your phone. On SPEAKER.

or

8. You video chat someone.

It's distracting, rude, and honestly? It's unattractive. Your calls aren't important to me, and I have NO idea why anyone would want to video chat with you while you're sweating up a storm. Put your phone away, or go talk outside. Did I mention you're screwing your own workout, too?

9. You use multiple stations and don't let me work in.

I advocate for cross-training, but you're just being rude if you're using all of the equipment ALL OF THE TIME. If you're going to be using multiple, unrelated pieces of equipment at once, you need to be aware if someone is also wanting to use one of pieces as well.
Don't be a dick when someone asks you to work in. They're paying money to be there, too!.

10. You're more focused on your selfies than yourSELF.

Yeah, you look so hot while you're hogging the mirror: be a narcissist in the locker room. Don't sit in the same spot for twenty minutes and only complete one set because you're too busy snapchatting how "fit" you're getting.
Friendly advice: it's more impressive to show off your sweat and challenge people to get to your level than it is to say "Look at me, I'm being so hardcore right now, I'm at the gym".
Don't be a hypocrite and a dick: there isn't room for either.

11. You hit on me.

Honestly I don't make it easy for someone to want to hit on me: I'm usually wearing baggy or mismatching clothes, and a facial expression that makes me look like I'll punch someone whenever I go to the gym.
Don't hit on me while they're working out. It's distracting, and I'm not here to find a soulmate or a one-night-stand.

12. You think I don't know what I'm doing.

This one sucks MORE than getting hit on.
You might have the good intention of helping me get better, but if I look like I've got a lift technique down pat, why are you talking to me and giving me advice? Sure, I might be able to go up another five pounds, but you don't know if I'm ready to.
I'll ask for help when I need it, but in the mean time, #GTFO.

13. You exclude me.

This kind of goes along with #5. I see a few groups of guys who will stand around and talk outside the lockers about things relating to healthy living or working out. I love gym talk; it makes me a better athlete, and I'm gotten some great tips just by shooting the breeze with other gym-goers. But sometimes I get the cold shoulder, and I know it's not because I was being rude and interrupting their conversation.
Dude: just because I am a girl or don't look like a Victoria's Secret model doesn't mean that I can't talk supplements or talk about different workouts. 'Kay thanks.

That's it for this rant. And I know you've been affected by one or more of these horrendous people, so please, let's end the stupidity now. Share this and save the innocence of the modern day gym-goer.