Happy Birthday, Dad!

Happy Birthday, Dad!

Why I'm so lucky to have you as my father

95
Happy Birthday, Dad!
Author

Dear Dad,

I think you are the only person in the world who gets more excited about their own birthday than I do. And that’s impressive, because we all know how much I love my birthday. What you may not know, though, is that one of the reasons I love my Valentine’s birthday is because it’s only four days before yours.

You might think that’s not a big deal, but to me, it means a lot. To me, it doesn’t just mean two chocolate cakes with banana and strawberries, or two rounds of Mom singing her (and my) favorite version of "Happy birthday," or the house being decorated floor to ceiling in balloons and streamers for four days instead of one.

I love all of that, don’t get me wrong, but to me having our birthdays four days apart makes me think that there’s that much more of a chance that I’ll be half the person you are.

"Be yourself, kid." That right there is the best advice you’ve ever given me. You’re probably thinking, "But that’s the most cliched advice anyone can give." You’re right, but it’s not the words that I listen to when you say that; I listen to you. You are someone who can give that advice and have people listen because you live by those words. It’s very rare to find someone who works so hard to be so successful and is still able to be so nice, humble, and always put others first. But that’s just how you are; you’re you and you couldn’t be anyone else if you tried. You are the guy that will be the first one dancing (very goofily) at a party, you’re the guy that has to read every plaque he sees because he loves to learn, and you are the guy that, without fail, will always put Mom first.

People say we're very similar, and that makes me happy. Thanks for giving me your love for history, for introducing me to the song "Somewhere Over the Rainbow," and for teaching me to be active. I hope I can grow into and posses all of the other amazing qualities that make you the incredible person you are everyday.

There aren’t a lot of girls who can look at their fathers and call them friends. I’m lucky because I can. You’re my dad, my mentor, and my buddy. Thanks for 21 years of sharing your chocolate ice cream, dealing with my sass, and for always standing by my side. Keep doing what you’re doing, because I couldn’t imagine a better dad if I tried.

And remember, you’re the man.

Love always,

G.