An Open Letter To My Dad On His Birthday

Love, Your Biggest Fan

65369
Tori Vacca

Dear Dad,

(I know you don’t really like your birthday, so I won’t embarrass you with a very public “Happy Birthday” song and dance, or “How Old Are You Now?”— don’t worry. I know you’re sick of me doing that.)

Every year, you find new ways to amaze me, just as I think I’ve got you all figured out. You’ve never failed to show me what a true gentleman looks like and have always shown love, kindness, and sincerity to everyone you meet, no mater the circumstance. Even if your day is tough, you make it your mission to make someone else laugh in an act of pure selflessness. Your care and concern for all people, especially those you love, is so inspiring and doesn’t go unnoticed.

I know things haven’t always been easy, but you have shown me time and time again how to walk through the storm and come out on the other side stronger, more compassionate, and still with a great sense of humor. This is one of the greatest lessons I could've learned, and I'm proud to say I got to learn that from you.

Thank you for teaching me to not take myself too seriously. Thank you for showing me how to stand up for myself. Thank you for showing me how to be compassionate and to stand firm in my decisions. Thank you for believing in me when I couldn’t.

You’ve always been my biggest fan, cheering me on in every season of life and on every whim of mine—whether that be my short-lived time on the soccer team (RIP, that must have been so painful to witness) or coming to every show and audition with me, without question or complaint. Just know I’m your biggest fan, too, and that I cherish every phone call, movie night, dinner, and all the rest with you. I’m one of the lucky ones who got a “two-for-one” deal: a dad and a best friend.

Thank you for holding my hand through everything—and also knowing when to let go. I know you’re never far behind me.

If I grow up to be at least half the person you are, I will have done something right.

I love you endlessly, on your birthday and always,

“Doodle”

P.S. This is taking place of a card this year, love you!!