The Non-Believer's Guide To Finding Peace

What comes next for the one without faith in immortality and a blissful afterlife?

26
http://wallpapercave.com/

Everyone feels stress at some point in their life. In fact, I would argue that people, especially in the haze and complexity of the 21st century, experience unhealthy levels of stress on a daily basis. Stress from work, school, family and events in the world cause modern people to become quite disconnected from real happiness in life.

As a remedy to allay this stress or perhaps—more accurately—suffering, people turn to a belief in God and an afterlife. Of course, this is quite natural for human beings. Faith is a way to turn away from the problems in the real world and look to something that will bring happiness and eternal bliss. People desire an end to the suffering. But what about those who have no faith in a supernatural reality? What do they turn to and how do they alleviate their stress?

As I can't speak for others, I will give an account of how I resist the causes of stress and suffering in my life.

Buddhism encompasses the belief that life on earth is mostly suffering. While I am not a Buddhist, I think this view is predominately correct.

So how do I, as a non-believer, rectify this suffering? I create for myself a purpose in life. I fight back. I fight back against the suffering, the darkness that taints the poor souls of the world. To lessen the amount of suffering in the world, I think, is a noble enterprise. I aim to lessen my own suffering by pursuing a comfortable life for myself. It gives me the motivation to do the things I dread in life and sets me on a path of industry and retaliation against suffering. At the same time, I do what I can do lessen the suffering of others, both human and non-human.

But I have not succeeded. I am still carving for myself this path of righteousness. It is a lifelong pursuit.

I have set forth my purpose in life, which in my eyes is an act of rebellion, a retaliation in the face my one true enemy—suffering. But what comes next? What comes next for the one without faith in immortality and a blissful afterlife?

Well, after a long, hard day full of stress, suffering, and fighting back, I like to rest. I like to curl up in my nice, cozy bed and drift into a tranquil slumber.

Sleep is the one true paladin of goodness who puts an end to the perpetual enemy of suffering.

How great would it be if this life is the only one we have? How wonderful would it be if we finally get to sleep, if we finally get to end the suffering that has harrowed forcefully over our conscious lives?

So these are my two maxims for a non-believer to live a happy life: Create a purpose to rebel against the suffering in life and maintain the belief that we will one day slay that obnoxious beast. So keep living and keep pushing forward. Keep in mind that the enemy of suffering will meet its inevitable end once we pull the sheets over our weary bodies and invite into our beds the peace we desire.