A Letter To My Hero

A Letter To My Hero

You deserve the world, but for now, I give you this letter.

83
A Letter To My Hero
MC McCarthy

Dad,

You’re not like any other dad. You’re special, to say the least, but that doesn’t even surpass any characteristic given to you. Simply put, you're my hero.

I’m sure you hear that a lot, that you’re someone’s hero. You served a long term in the United States Military while serving your family at the same time. To say "thank you" would simply not be enough. Some may say you’re their hero. Some may say that loaded word without knowing you like I do, and that’s OK. You deserve that recognition and honor. However, I want you to know that when I say that you’re my hero, I don’t say it on a whim. I don’t say it with a light heart. I say it like saying the words “I love you” to your first love. It takes true meaning and guts to say it.

And simply, but oh so thoughtfully, do I say the words: you’re my hero.

I know some girls don’t have it as lucky as I do. Some girls don’t get to experience life with a dad as great as you, or even with a dad in general. You love me so deeply. You take care of me. You support, challenge and inspire me. And because of this, I am thankful. Thankful to grow up by your side.

Now, I’m not going to say our journey has been rainbows and butterflies because it hasn’t. Sometimes we argue and clash so perfectly. Sometimes there’s a slammed door or harsh word thrown a little too viciously. Sometimes -- OK, maybe the majority of the time -- I have been the dramatic one. But thank you. Thank you for those moments because how else would I know how to deal with confrontation and deal with it in the most loving, gentle and patient way I can? Thank you for rubbing me the wrong way at times because it has so plainly shown me that getting worked up over the little things is unimportant. Thank you for being the bigger person. Thank you for showing me genuine love through the various hiccups our relationship has endured.

One thing I find quite hilarious is that Mom has continually told us that we are “two peas in a pod.” Better yet, she tells us this as we are so strange in particular habits or behavior. I laugh and shake my head in response, but we both know it’s true. We both know that sometimes when she says it as a joke regarding our tempered heads, we don’t respond to ignore the comment because the last thing we want to be like is each other! But we know it’s the truth. I think I don’t answer while shaking my head because I’m processing the truth. After much thought, we are alike. The way we respond to certain phrases, the way we walk through stores comparing prices from various brands of groceries, the way we both passionately love talking of the ocean and any subject involving marine life. I guess I can say I get it from you. Although Mom says it out of hysterical disbelief, I’m proud. Being like you is honestly a compliment.

You’re hardworking, kind, generous and completely selfless. You’re a big guy, with a big heart. Thank you for allowing me to be your little girl, and helping me love every step of it, too.

Love,

Your Daughter