Halloween 2016

Growing up Halloween was always one of my favorite holidays. For one night you get to be someone completely different from who you are in real life. I have been everything from the typical costumes from a witch to a clown, to more eccentric costumes of a purple crayon. We would walk around our neighborhood going door to door, taking turns ringing the doorbell and yelling “trick or treat.” We would then head home on tired feet and wait for our parents to rummage through our candy taking out bad pieces, or pieces they wanted to eat.

This year I went out with my best friend and her son, for his first Halloween. In all honesty I have to say I had fun but was disappointed in the amount of people that were out walking around, which really means driving around in a car, and the amount of people who were sitting at the end of their driveways with a dish of candy.

Walking around we saw maybe only three or five different groups. Most of the kids were dressed up in the typical princess or superhero costume but there were some that didn’t put any effort into their costume. I saw some kids walking around in jeans and a t-shirt with a picture of a lion on it claiming to be a lion. If you want to be a lion put on a mane and roar. Get in the spirit of trick or treating.

To the parents that sat at the end of the driveway, you took away the excitement of walking up the driveway and ringing the doorbell, which was one of my favorite things to do when I was little. Where is the phone to just walk on the sidewalk and say trick or treat every two seconds.

I wish people would stop being scared of everything and just start living life. Life is a gift and you shouldn't waste it because something might happen. All you can do is be prepared for the worst and celebrate the best. Celebrate the holiday of Halloween by being someone new and different and let yourself be free.