Guns In Schools Is A Danger For Our Students

Teachers Having Guns In A Classroom Is A Step Backwards To The Crisis

The law of teachers having guns in the classroom does not solve the school shooting crisis

26

Columbine. Parkland. Seaside High School. These schools have been the victims of a very deadly subject. School shootings. Students have been killed because of hate and violence. Every time we turn on the news and there's another school shooting, it comes like second nature because the actions we are not taking. Yet, a recent action was taken, yet this action is was not the right path.

On May 9, 2019, Governor Ron DeSantis has released a law that allows teachers to carry firearms in the classroom. According to the Washington Post, "We did a lot for public safety," Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) said after the legislative session ended Saturday, "We did a lot for public safety," Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) said after the legislative session ended Saturday, the Associated Press reported. "The Marjory Stoneman Douglas bill people had disagreements on, but ultimately … I think we're going to be safer." "The Marjory Stoneman Douglas bill people had disagreements on, but ultimately … I think we're going to be safer." Unfortunately, we live in a world where safety is not in our vocabulary.

Police shoot kids who seem threatening. People shoot others if they look at them the wrong way. What does mean? If we can't be safe in the outside world, why can't we be safe in our education environment? School is known to be the safest places. A gun will change that perspective. Not only do we suffer from school shootings, but we are also going to suffer from teachers carrying this. This will not help with school shootings, it will make it worse.

Let's paint a picture. An African-American kid and a teacher are at odds. The teacher starts to angry/nervous. When the kid stands up, the teacher will shoot him/her, because of natural instinct. Because the teacher felt threatened. The kid dies and the parents have to learn how to face life without a child. That's exactly what will happen because of this law. Our governor just released another problem in our generation. Kids have to go to school, with the knowledge of their teacher having a gun, when they should have the knowledge gained from learning.

Instead of giving a teacher a gun, teachers should be finding ways to learn how to keep their students safe from a shooting. How much longer do we have to suffer because of a weapon? How much longer do parents risk their child leaving the safety of their home?

When I was a child, I always would tell my parents as a procedure. Now, I have to say it, because I don't know if it will be my last day on Earth. I don't know if I will go home every day. This is now a threat to students who are minors, and this will bring more tears and anger. This brings division to our community for ways that we need to be safe again.

In the article, "Kaufman added: "Now, I'm scared for the next generation of students who will grow up afraid of gun violence in their schools, not just from a shooter, but from the guns that could be carried by their teachers." Sauri Kaufman is a Parkland survivor. If anything, the government needs to listen to their people to demonstrate unity. If there is no change, then everyone who has made a difference in history did it for no reason.