A Dog Owner's Guide To Living In Harrisonburg

Pet-friendly places to take man's best friend

84
The Daily Duke

No matter how big, furry, or slobbery your dog is, all pups are in need of exercise to remain active and healthy. A leisurely stroll through the park or an invigorating game of fetch are only some of the ways to get you and your dog moving. Lucky for you, the city of Harrisonburg is full of trails, parks, and open spaces where you can take your furry best friend.

Here are 14 pet-friendly places in Harrisonburg to take your dog:

Parks:

Harrisonburg Parks & Recreation boasts many parks that are available to the public throughout the city. These parks are great destinations for owners who want the open space for their dog to run, explore, and play. The largest of these parks is Hillandale Park at an impressive 74 acres, which includes a walking trail that stretches 1.3 miles. Another great choice is Purcell Park, which is 67 acres and has a 1.5-mile walking trail. Other great choices include Ralph Sampson Park and Riven Rock Park, which are both medium-sized parks that still offer a great number of amenities. Among them are volleyball courts, basketball courts, horseshoe pits, playground equipment, and of course plenty of space for even the most rambunctious pup to roam. Kiwanis Park and Morrison Park are also available, and although they are smaller parks, they are great places to bring the family, including the dog! All of these parks are located within the city of Harrisonburg, and offer your furry friend tons of room to explore the nature around them.

Downtown Harrisonburg:

Downtown Harrisonburg is largely known in the Harrisonburg community for its historical roots and the wide variety of restaurants, bars, and shops. However, most people aren’t aware that this city is also home to some hot-spots for dog owners. Situated alongside the Children’s Discovery Museum is a pet-friendly dog supply store, the Blue Ridge Dog. People and dogs alike are welcome into the cozy shop to browse for treats, accessories, and toys.

After shopping at the Blue Ridge Dog, you and your dog might enjoy a visit to Liberty Park. Located off Liberty Street, this quaint grassy area offers a relief from the hustle-bustle of the downtown shopping district, where your tired pup can rest under cool shade while you sit on a bench and take in the beauty of downtown.

Besides being able to walk your dog along the sidewalks of the lively city, Blue Ridge Dog and Liberty Park are all the more reason to bring your dog with you on your next trip downtown.

Trails:

Rather than make the same loops through your neighborhood, why not walk your dog through one of Harrisonburg’s trails? Whether you’re seeking a grand adventure or a casual stroll, there’s something for both you and your dog.

If you are looking for a walking path that allows the accompaniment of your friendly canine, look no further than Rocktown Trails! These trails are a part of Hillandale Park, and offer 3 levels of difficulty to try and conquer. The trails stretch across 74 acres, and are great for adventurers from beginners to experts. You can check out a map of the extensive area here.

If you’re looking for a more brisk walk, Bluestone Trail is another great choice. This scenic pathway is a 1 mile walk that runs from the base of Pheasant Run, through Purcell Park, and arrives at the James Madison University campus. Pups that get tuckered out easily will certainly enjoy this easy yet beautiful path through Purcell.

Dog Parks:

Want to meet other dog owners in the area? Is your dog tired of being tugged on his leash? Let your dog roam leash-free within the safe boundaries of Harrisonburg’s dog parks.

These spaces were specifically designed with the needs of your dog in mind. The Dog Park off Smithland Road features designated gated areas based on the size of your dog (over or under 30 pounds) where they can run and play leash-free. This dog park is a green oasis where you can meet other dog owners in the area and let your dog socialize with the other neighborhood pups.

For current members of Charleston Townhomes, the community provides a gated dog park in the center of the neighborhood. Although smaller than the other parks in Harrisonburg, this dog park features an agility course where dogs can test their speed as they leap over hurdles and weave through posts.

James Madison University:

A popular spot for dog-owners lies in the very heart of Harrisonburg, the James Madison University campus Quad. The Quad features open grass fields and shaded areas with plenty of room to play fetch and ball with your pet. During the weekday, your dog will be flooded with love as students pass through the iconic space.

Another great place to take your dog is the beautiful Edith J. Carrier Arboretum, which features both open spaces and various hiking trails where you can take your dog. The breathtaking landscape is full of trees and flowers year-round that your dog can sniff to their heart’s content. Both the botanical gardens and the forested area can be explored, and together cover a total of 125 acres of land.

All of these pet-friendly trails, parks, and shops are right in your backyard! From braving the rocky trails of Rocktown to picking up some fresh treats at the Blue Ridge Dog, there’s tons of places in Harrisonburg for you to check out with your furry companion. Next time you’re out and about in Harrisonburg, don’t forget to bring your dog to join in on the fun.