Gain skills of professionalism by job shadowing

My Experiences With Job Shadowing At Guerrero Media

See the adult world as a college student by job shadowing.

24

As a college student, I am curious about life after college. In order to satisfy my level of curiosity, I was able to job shadow through DePaul University. This experience is important to me as it was my first professional experience I had. I was able to register in advance in October through the career center, and there was an endless list of jobs and companies to shadow. We had to rank our preferences of which company we wanted to shadow and I ended up getting the first job I wanted to shadow, Guerrero Media. This company focuses on branding businesses and companies through storytelling.

On December 7, I woke up extra early, and I was pumped for the day and what was to come. As soon as I arrived at Guerrero Media, I knew this was the type of job I wanted. I am majoring in journalism and communications, and this job heavily conveys storytelling which is something I love to do. During the day, representatives from each department talked about their experiences with the company and how they landed a job there. Some of these departments included the editorial team, and the sales department team. Each department also explained to us their purpose which I was able to put the pieces to the puzzle of how the company works. Without each department, Guerrero Media would not be able to run how it is supposed to. Another department I had the chance to speak to was the hiring department, where they gave me tips on interviewing and explained to us the jobs that they hire.

In order to fully grasp what I learned I need to document my experience. I am glad I was given this opportunity to job shadow. Through this program, I am more confident in what companies look for and life after college. I received more connections through LinkedIn and more contacts. The skills I obtained in professionalism was greatly appreciated and the career center did a good job in preparing me to succeed through a webinar meeting prior to the job shadow.