Growing Up In Rodeo

Growing Up In Rodeo

"It's a lifestyle not many can handle, but the lucky ones thrive on it."

276
Growing Up In Rodeo
Kerrie Cannon Trace

The rodeo scene is an atmosphere unlike any other. It is gritty, dirty, and competitive, all while being godly and family oriented. It is demanding; there is no such thing as a holiday, but every single ounce of blood, sweat and tears that goes into it is worth the final outcome. I was one of the few who was lucky enough to grow up in the rodeo atmosphere. I started riding horses when I was 4, I began running barrels when I was 8 or 9 and then I competed in high school rodeos for all four years of my high career. I sadly walked away from my rodeo career when I graduated high school so I could focus on college. Not a day goes by that I don’t miss the rodeo life, as there is truly not another sport like it.

Rodeo is the only sport where success can only be obtained by placing all of your trust in a 1200 pound animal that has the capability to kill you, and then using just the shift of your weight, the slightest touch of the reins or a leg to the side to control their every movement. We borrow freedom from these animals; they do not have to listen to our aids but instead they choose to. They trust us to care for them and in return, they care for us. Horses serve as our teammates and they give us every ounce of their power and heart in pursuit of championship.

However, rodeo is more than the loud music, the cheering crowd, a loud buzzer, a shiny buckle, or a fast horse. Rodeo is a lifestyle that not many can handle, but the lucky ones thrive on. It is a lifestyle full of lessons that are slipped between the dollars paid, the miles traveled and the injuries suffered. In rodeo, there is no participation medals: the best excel and those who cannot keep up are simply left behind. A tenth of second is often the difference between winning it all or walking away with nothing. Because of this do or die atmosphere, rodeo teaches its contestants that nothing in life comes easy, and anything worth having one must go through hell and back to earn.

The season is long, the days are hot and the nights are cold. There is no cancellations for rain, and rodeo contestants often find themselves making runs in the worst conditions.

Despite the struggles, rodeo's positive aspects are unmatched by any other sport. In rodeo, your toughest competitors often become your best friends. The phrase “friends become family” is taken to an entirely new level in the rodeo scene. The people you meet along the way become your hauling partners, your camera crew, your cheerleaders, your trainers, your motivators and your competition. They are there to pick you up whenever you fall down and they are there to celebrate with you when you are victorious. Although you may compete against each other with every ounce of ability and competitive spirit you possess, no friends are more supportive than the ones who rodeo alongside of you.

Faith is a key component of the rodeo atmosphere. Every single ounce of success is credited to God. A prayer is said before nearly every single rodeo and most of the contestants can be seen praying before a run or a ride, and then thanking God afterwards, no matter the outcome. It is sport that thrives on sportsmanship. The animals, contractors and fellow competitors are treated with respect and nothing less is accepted. The sport is competitive and the will to win drives every single one of us to continue fighting to keep our dreams alive, but winning fairly is the most important aspect of any win.

I grew up living this lifestyle and if I had not of, I don’t know what person I would be today. Rodeo taught me to never give up, even when I was looking defeat square in the eye. I built friendships that continue to grow daily and support systems that still exist even though I left the rodeo scene. I carry memories with me that still invoke every type of emotion when they cross my mind. I still laugh when I remember the time my high school rodeo team engaged in an all out mud war following the rodeo we hosted in a torrential downpour. Pride still surges through my body when I remember running down the alleyway at Will Rogers Coliseum in Fort Worth, Texas when I competed at my first high school rodeo finals during my sophomore year of high school. Tears of joy still fill my eyes when I remember accepting the reserve champion buckle I earned in pole bending that same year on the horse I was told would “never amount to much” and would certainly never take me that far. I still smile when I remember breaking my personal record during my final barrel run of my senior year and coming out the arena screaming and laughing through tears because I despite my excitement and pride, I was heartbroken my rodeo career was over. I still cry when I remember the “Seniors’ Last Ride” that I was actually a part of, and appreciate the fact that as the Sam Riggs song that played during that fateful ride states, I really was a “Lucky One.” A rodeo memory exists for every single emotion there is to be felt and that is what makes the sport so special and so much more than just sport. In life, moments come and go much like the runs a rodeo kid makes week to week. Through rodeo, I learned to appreciate every single “run,” whether it was good or bad, because one day that last run comes and goes and when it does, you’ll find yourself willing to give anything to run just one more time.