Growing Up A Farmkid

Growing Up A Farmkid

If only the rest of the world could see life through our eyes.

Growing up on a farm is one of the best ways a kid can be brought up. From learning a variety of valuable skills such as responsibility, kindness, determination, and hard work, to discovering new and more adventurous sources of entertainment with playing on hay bales, riding horses, and playing out with the calves. There are just some things that only a kid raised on a farm will ever understand and will live their lives wishing more people could experience life the way we see it. There are just some things you only comprehend if you grew up as a farm kid.

1. You ALWAYS have an exit strategy.

You never know when you have to jump over a panel or two in order to escape a mad mama cow or bull.

2. You are always hyperaware of the "hottest" spots.

Being shocked one too many times by hot wire will do that to you.

SEE ALSO: The Truth About 'Being Country'

3. Taking the "scenic" route home is just another way to say you are going to check fields.

We tend to learn that little trick early on.

4. Every tractor, combine, or other machinery has a special "trick" to it to get it to function.

Although... we are told its the insurance policy so nobody will steal it.

5. Everything can be fixed with a little duct tape and WD-40.

And I mean everything.

6. Don't take anything personally when sorting cattle.

I don't think I need to really explain this one... but if I do... let's just say it goes a little something like "$@#%^ *&$@$$ #@%$#@ you *#&%&@&% if you'd just %@#%#@ listen!!!"

7. There is no such thing as a day off.

Not even on the holidays.

8. It's not even remotely disgusting to have a calf suck your fingers.

In fact, it's pretty much the most adorable thing you've ever seen.

9. Table manners have never been a thing.

And let's be honest... this never works out well for any of us in the dating scene.

SEE ALSO: 12 Perks Of Having A Big Family In A Small Town

10. Family meals out in the middle of a field is normal in the summer.

Even if it is rushed and your fork becomes a shovel because "you have to keep the combine running" during harvest.

11. You constantly wonder about child labor laws.

I mean really... there has got to be some kind of law against pulling rye and sweeping out grain bins in the triple digit heat.

12. Jumping on hay bales was the best form of exercise.

Especially when you get a group of friends to play tag.

13. The bond between a show steer and a farm kid is undeniable.

Even if they did drag you across the pasture one or two times.

14. And when they did drag you all you could hear was you dad's voice saying, "Do NOT let go!".

Because that, of course, was more terrifying than a few rope burns and grass stains.

15. You have an undeniable love and respect for all animals.

Most of your childhood even consisted of trying to sneak them into the house or nurturing the occasional orphan kitten (or a skunk you thought was a kitten).

16. You can't ever make plans.

You are constantly telling your friends, "I can't, I have to help my dad." And of course, they constantly think you're just being flaky.

SEE ALSO: 10 Things 4-H Actually Taught Me

17. Unless it rains.

If it rains you suddenly get the day off and you call/text everyone in your friend group trying to desperately make last minute plans. Mudding anyone?

SEE ALSO: A Millennial Agriculturist's View On The Oklahoma Cattle Industry