Everything You Should Do As A Twenty Something Living In Greenville, South Carolina

Written by a former Floridian.

21
Lauren Connelly

You might ask what brought me to Greenville, South Carolina, but I really am not sure. I remember Googling top areas for young professionals. On the list was Columbia, South Carolina, and Raleigh, North Carolina. As the daughter of my father, my next search was “Crime Rates in Columbia, South Carolina” and “Crime rates of Raleigh, North Carolina”. In all honesty, both searches weren’t so hot. I kept searching for “South Carolina’s Safest Cities to Live”.

I found Greenville, South Carolina on a whim. I’ve had the itch to get out of Florida for the past few years. Nothing negative, but just ready to spread my wings. South Carolina seemed just far enough away from home without diving into the blizzard weather. After seriously looking at places to relocate I saw Greenville online and simply fell in love. It was everything Florida wasn’t. Big colorful trees, countless waterfalls, unique restaurants, and an abundance of activities for locals and visitors.

So here is my list of things to do in Greenville from the perspective of a twenty-something living in Florida:

Greenville Zoo

-NINE WHOLE DOLLARS! What a deal. The Zoo is divided into continents with a total of 24 kinds of animals. Overall, it is intimate, vivacious, and incredible. Not only is the zoo eye catching, but the location is filled with a playground and part of the Swampy Rabbit Trail. This is a "must-do" if visiting Greenville.

Swampy Rabbit Trail

-Something I crave when in Florida are hiking trails. Growing up in the Midwest, Saturdays in the spring and summer were spent rollerblading or biking on our local trail. This is very similar except it is almost thirty miles long and wraps around the city of Greenville. There is a creek that flows through the middle of the trail, which also goes to The Falls. It is filled with residents walking dogs, kids running, and even those who enjoy a mid-day jog.

The Falls

-The first word that comes to mind is breathtaking. The Falls is a huge waterfall that is surrounded by restaurants, stores, and apartments. It's one of those places that tourists pull out their phones to take a picture and realize it's impossible to capture the beauty. There is a bridge capturing the top view of the waterfall but there are stairs, which descend into the base of the waterfall. Along with the view, there are gardens encompassing the area as well as benches where you could waste your day away. My suggestion is to grab a picnic basket full of food and scope out a bench to sit.

Nose Dive Gastropub

-Three words. Fried. Chicken. Skins. Yup, you heard that right. The way our server described it was "remember when your grandmother would make fried chicken and you only wanted the crunchy skin? Well, imagine the having that chicken skin tossed in honey and covered in sriracha and called it an appetizer!" To be honest, my mom and I were convinced it would be life changing. Eh, it wasn't my favorite but definitely something worth trying. Their menu is everything southern. But authentically southern. For example, they have an item called "Nose Dive Chicken Fil-Ay". It was their take on the classic Chick-fil-a chicken sandwich with breaded chicken, a few pickles, and the famous Chick-Fil-a sauce.

Tupelo Honey Café

-I knew I wasn’t in Florida anymore because they brought biscuits with jelly and honey instead of the typical bread and butter. (When our server placed the biscuits on the table, I am pretty sure I heard the Hallelujah Chorus in my head). Warm buttery biscuits. I went for lunch, but I am pretty sure they have the same menu for dinner. They have dishes that are inspired by southern cooking, but with variety. If you are more of a “salad-kind-of-person”, they’ve got you covered. Or if you are all about trying new things: fried green tomatoes makes many appearances on the menu.

Bon Secours Wellness Arena

This is the home to various concerts and the Greenville Swampy Rabbit hockey team. It was such a large arena but still wonderfully laid out. We attended a Christian music concert where we paid $25 for general admission. The way the seating was set up was different than anything I've ever heard of. We got to the venue around 5:00. The doors opened at 5:30 and everyone rushed in and found their seat. With general admission, ticketholders can choose their seats in a specific area. It was great for us because for $25 we were able to sit up close, which would've cost closer to $100 or more. Steal.

Vintage Now Modern

-We live in a world where Chip and Joanna Gaines are the perfect couple. If you want to see "all things vintage" this is your place. It is located in downtown Greenville in a little shop filled with old furniture, typewriters, and old front doors. Yes, you heard that right. They also carry workshops where you are provided with a piece of wood and Chalk Paint. It is found on Groupon, called Chalk Paint Workshop. Here is the link. We didn't attend the workshop but there is a large picnic table where the workshop is held. According to Groupon, in the workshop, they teach you four techniques: "a modern, rustic, two-color distress and color washing technique. The three-hour workshop covers five painting techniques, with explanations of how to apply paint and finish with dark and clear waxes. Waxes and chalk paint require no prep work such as sanding, priming or stripping. " Hint: Go to the Greenville Visitor's Center first, where they have a 20% off coupon for Vintage Now Modern.

Passarelle Bistro

-This is the sweetest place to eat if you are close to downtown and The Falls. The restaurant is a stairway above the Falls while overlooking the marvelous sight. In addition to the view, the food is delicious! They had fries as an appetizer. I was nothing short of a happy camper. Passarelle Bistro had a variety of salads that were perfect for lunch or an early dinner. Also, the wait staff was incredibly nice and helpful. Hats off to them!

The Donut Experiment

-This was the place that showed up after Googling "Donuts in Greenville, South Carolina" and it didn't even come close to being a disappointment. After rushing into the front door, the smell overwhelms your senses. The donut maker hands you a paper that looks more like a spreadsheet, but you create your own donut. To give you a few examples, I choose three: vanilla icing and fruity pebbles, caramel icing with bacon, and chocolate icing with peanuts. In addition to tastiness, the pricing is extremely reasonable. Donuts are a must have when traveling to a new place.

Paris Mountain State Park

-Being from Florida, our state parks aren't far enough from palm trees or have hiking trails that are slightly elevated. This state park was absolutely gorgeous with various hiking trails and even a campground. There is one large lake where I imagine is packed during the summer months. You can rent paddleboats, kayaks, and other water sports. From what I heard, these are only available during the summer months. While walking, there are tons of beaver tracks from the surrounding trees. Also, a waterfall that calls for a photo op. This is not exactly in the city of Greenville but about twenty minutes outside. If you crave that outdoor hiking experience while traveling somewhere different, Paris Mountain State Park is calling your name.

So if you are looking for a quick getaway from Florida without paying an arm and a leg, I would highly suggest Greenville, South Carolina. We used VRBO to find a place to stay and let me tell you, there is no shortage of VRBO's in Greenville. Even a Florida girl tolerated weather below 70 degrees.