The Greatest Sports City In America: Boston Vs. New York

853
The Daily Beast

The debate has seemingly been lifelong. What is the greatest sports city, Boston or New York? There have been countless debates, with each side making valid points to either support their cause or refute the case that the other side has made. If you grew up around Quincy Market, Boston has held your heart. If you lived near what Sinatra called the “city that never sleeps," odds are your allegiances lie with the city of New York.

Here is how this debate is formatted. Four categories; Teams/Championships, Legends, Stadiums/Venues, and Fans. Each topic is debated based off a Boston point of view (Justin Mango), and a New York point of view (Anthony Cammarota), with each making their case for what city should hold the title as the greatest sports city in the United States. For those of you who love debates, this one's for you.

Teams and Championships

Justin: Boston, Massachusetts, aka Title town USA. Honestly does it get any better than the Celtics, Patriots, Bruins and Red Sox? This one is not even debatable; Boston's success has been balanced and sustained for as long as we can remember. Since 2000 Boston has nine World Championships, four from the Patriots, three from the Red Sox, and one from the Bruins and Celtics respectively. New York in that time only has four, with the Giants and Yankees each winning two. Keep in mind that eight teams entertain the greater New York area, while Boston entertains only half that number. Based off of championships alone, Boston takes the cake; there has been no city as successful as Boston in the last 15 years. In Boston year in year out, it is safe to say that all four teams will contend for a playoff spot, and in most cases, a championship. That's something that no other city can say.

Anthony: Let's attack the obvious. Over the past decade or so Boston takes the cake in championships. Have to tip your hat off to what they have been doing, it truly is remarkable. However, sports have been around for more than just a decade, and New York has dominated all of these decades except for this one. Over the four major sports, New York has a total of 55 championships (this includes old New York teams) and Boston only has 36. Even with their dominant decade, New York still holds a sizable advantage over Boston. In football, the Giants have beaten the Patriots twice in the Super bowl. In Baseball, the Yankees have as many titles as there are amendments to the damn constitution.Take your decade in all its luster Boston sports fan, I'll take a combined NINETEEN more championships and the fact that our teams have won at an insane rate consistently over the years all across the four major sports.

Legends

Justin: Yaz, Teddy Ballgame, Larry Legend, The Truth, Tom Terrific, or simply “#4," names like these come to mind first when you talk of the greats in Boston sports history. Boston sports teams have just around 90 total hall of famers between their four teams. Let's break it down further and take the best player from each organization. Ted Williams, arguably the best hitter the game has ever seen, has the sixth highest career batting average in baseball history, and is the only player in the last 85 years to hit over .400 in a season. Larry Bird was an all-star 12 times, an NBA MVP and Champion three times. Bird is also the only man to be named an MVP, Coach of the Year, and Executive of the Year in the NBA. Tom Brady, a four time Super Bowl champion and two-time MVP has played in AND won the most career playoff games as a quarterback in NFL history. Lastly, number 4, Bobby Orr, was voted the greatest athlete in Boston history by the fans. Orr still remains the only defenceman to have won the league scoring title and holds the record for most points in a single season by a defenceman. I'm willing to take those four guys against the best that New York has to offer any day of the week.

Anthony: Babe Ruth, Jackie Robinson, Derek Jeter, Mark Messie, Joe Namath, and Lawrence Taylor, the list of incredible players for New York sports could go on for pages. I feel bad only being able to list these guys because I know I'm leaving out countless other legends. In an effort to spare Boston fans, I'll stick to these. Babe Ruth was traded to New York from the Red Sox, and proceeded to hit 714 career home runs in an era where the only performance enhancing drug that existed was a couple of pre-game hot dogs and beer (and the Babe was known to indulge in both of these prior to games). Jackie Robinson broke the baseball color barrier for the Brooklyn Dodgers in 1947, and changed the scope of baseball for years to come. His number was retired in all of baseball, with the last person to ever wear it being that Mariano Rivera guy, who also played in the New York sports scene if you weren't aware, and has the most career saves in baseball history. Derek Jeter. Well, the Red Sox faithful gave him a standing ovation in his final game at Fenway, so if that doesn't say it all I don't know what does. To Ranger fans, Mark Messier brought home the 1994 Stanley cup in unbelievable fashion, and led a beautiful parade down the streets of the greatest city in America. Joe Namath guaranteed a Super bowl for the Jets, who were a ten point underdog, and then delivered on his promise. Lawrence Taylor spent his career for the Giants causing fear into the hearts of opposing quarterbacks, and changing the linebacker position in football. Boston has their greats, but I'll take the New York greats who changed their respective sports, and delivered championships while doing so.

Stadiums and Venues

Justin: The Boston Garden, Fenway Park and Gillette on a Sunday night are all must see venues for any sports fan. The echoes of “Beat LA" rattle in the rafters, and the firing of the muskets post touchdown are sounds of comfort for Boston fans. Is there any better picture than the sun setting on Fenway Park for a 7 p.m. first pitch? The smell of Fenway Franks, the looming shadow of the Green Monster, and the excitement on the face of every fan that walks up the tunnel to see the illustrious field are just a few reasons why the venues Boston has to offer are unforgettable. Since 1911, Fenway Park has been the home of the Boston Red Sox, and has been consistently dubbed as “America's Most Beloved Ballpark." Although old and uncomfortable at times, Fenway Park is the essence of where baseball has been and where it is going.

Anthony: Madison Square Garden is the Mecca of sports. All athletes grow up fantasizing about playing in what is known as “The World's Most Famous Arena," and the Knicks and Rangers find themselves playing their home games here every year in front of raucous crowds. Tack on that this venue has held claim to Billy Joel, the Democratic National Convention, the Republican National Convention, JFK's birthday celebration, and countless other events, and there really is no argument as to why anything other than MSG is the greatest venue. Then throw in the old and new Yankee stadium, Shea stadium, Citi field, Nassau Coliseum (RIP) and Met Life, and New York's got it covered. New York provides several incredible venues for their great fans to watch sporting events, including the greatest one of all. Can't beat that Boston. I'm sorry, you just can't.

Fans

Justin: Boston sports fans can be summed up in two phrases, “Keep the Faith" and “Boston Strong." Boston fans are known for their family like mentality, hard work and never say die attitudes. Boston's teams would be nothing without their loyal, diehard fan base. Boston has seen perfect seasons come up short, countless game seven loses, and endless playoff eliminating goals, yet despite all the heartbreak, the seats are always filled with optimistic faces. The Red Sox sold out record 820 consecutive home games over a ten-year span. The streak is a testament to the passion of the fans, and the care and commitment they show to their athletes. According to seatgeek.com, Boston fans pay on average $118 per ticket to sporting events, the highest in the nation. Fans are willing to pay anything and give everything to see their teams compete. Boston sports fans and their teams are like peanut butter and jelly, they're both mediocre when separated, but when they're put together, there's nothing quite like it. David Ortiz said it best, “This jersey that we wear today doesn't say Red Sox, It says Boston. This is our... city, and nobody gonna dictate our freedom. Stay strong."

Anthony: Now for the fans. New York fans are one of a kind. In a year where the Knicks mustered up only 17 total wins, the fans still came out and supported their team, with their total attendance being ranked fourth in the NBA, which was TWELVE spots higher than the Celtics who made the playoffs. The Carmelo Anthony chants after he drains a deep three, the “GOAL" chant after a Rangers score, the raising of the apple after a New York Mets home run, and the pre-game roll call for all the players by the “bleacher creatures" at Yankee stadium. New York fans are known to be critical, but that's because they expect greatness. These fans have been punishing opposing players, and make playing at their venues both a blessing and a nightmare by their constant support for their team. There is nothing like being in New York. In regards to playing in front of the New York, faithful Lou Gehrig said it best in his speech after being diagnosed with ALS, “I am the luckiest man on the face of the earth."

There you have it. The perspective has been set. Do you see Boston's recent dominance, legends across all major sports, historic venues, and diehard fans making up the greatest sports city in America? Or do you see New York's continued excellence, transcending greats, the “World's Most Famous Arena," and equally dedicated fans as doing so?