Goodbye To The High School That Makes It Hard To Leave

This is my swan song to my high school career.

166
Instagram

As high school was coming to a close, I felt nothing. I didn't get nostalgic while thinking about all my teachers and courses. I didn't cry while writing in my friends' yearbooks. The last few days felt just as boring as any other. But I really liked the fact that I wasn't getting all sentimental about leaving high school.

This feeling lasted until July 27th, exactly one month before my move-in date. I was at home, sitting in bed and re-watching "Glee" for the 1,000th time. Skylar, my roommate-to be, sent me a snapchat with the caption "1 month till move in!!" I got all giddy and excited for a second. But then it hit me, the realization that there was only one month until college, and that I was really going to miss high school.

I began to think back to everything I went through in high school. The first thing that came to my mind was my friend group. I always kind of felt like an outsider, but I didn't realize until afterwards that I was blessed with some incredible friends in high school. The high school friends I had were the kind you see on a TV show. A diverse collection of people with one common interest: theatre. My high school friends would be there for literally anything, whether I needed to laugh, cry, rant, borrow mascara, borrow a dollar, or simply borrow a piece of gum. And it was these friends that are making it so hard to say goodbye to high school all of a sudden. So thanks, friends.

The second thing that came to mind while remembering high school was singing. My passion for singing was discovered in my high school's old choir room, where I sat in the back learning roles, requiems, and long pieces that were definitely not meant for high school students. I am the person I am today thanks to Symphonic Choir and Select Ensemble, two groups that pushed me to my limits and helped me follow my passion at my dream college. Going to a new place to start singing all over again is a little scary, but because of the preparation I had at my high school, I feel ready. Thanks, choir.

I also feel the need to say goodbye to all the support I received from adults while in high school. As a student with an IE,P I didn't only learn from the same teachers as everyone else, but also from special education teachers. I got to know these special education teachers over the past four years, and they helped me get through high school. I wouldn't have been motivated, organized, or ready for my future without them. I certainly want to thank these teachers, because there is nothing more important to me than the skills I've learned from them.

There are so many other things I could say goodbye to, but I think I just need to say goodbye to high school overall. Even though it didn't feel like it back then, high school was truly an incredible time. So goodbye, high school. Thanks for everything.