10 Takeaways from My Summer Job at the Gym

The Good, The Bad, And The Sweaty

Here are 10 things I've taken away after working at a gym for the past few months.

560
The Good, The Bad, And The Sweaty

This summer I worked at a gym in my hometown primarily at the front desk, but also in their 'kid's club' and under a promotional sale's tent as well. Although I've been working out at this fitness center for years, getting an up-close and personal look behind the scenes revealed much more to me about the culture of the gym business than I anticipated. This particular company actually switched locations about two months after I began my employment there, so I developed a more in-depth understanding of what it takes to not only run but also start-up a new gym.

The chaotic process also meant having more roles at my job than I signed up for, and although some tasks were more boring or stressful than others, I'm still thankful I had this amazing opportunity. After hours upon hours talking to and observing other employees, trainers, managers, members, and prospective customers, here are just a few lessons I've learned and observations I've made.

1. There is no one specific "athletic" body type

A lot of people sign up for a gym membership with the intention of crafting their body to fit the ideal image of 'fit' that society has ingrained in our minds. You know what I'm talking about. For a guy, it's probably something similar to Mr. Efron here, six pack abs, huge veiny arms, and like .1% body fat. For girls, it's more about extremely slim, lean figures with 0% body fat, toned glutes, and anything else to get you ready for a Victoria's Secret runway show. I mean, the fitness industry, not unlike the fashion, cosmetic, (or almost any commodity pushing) industry is essentially selling sex appeal. Gyms hire trainers who look like what the majority would consider 'attractive' to persuade customers to want to resemble them. This is all fine and dandy, and there's certainly nothing wrong with wanting to improve your overall health, shape, and appearance, but it's important to remember that to be 'fit' does not mean to 'fit' a specific set of physical requirements. There are various types of athletes who need to focus on different muscle groups or levels of conditioning. Some of our fittest members were far from the typical 'cookie-cutter' notion of a 'great body', and some of our strongest members lacked giant bulging muscles that you might normally expect. A cross-country runner is going to have a much different body type than an offensive lineman, but both could excel in their sport with the same caliber. A powerlifter's workout strays from someone who prefers free weights which differs from someone who focuses primarily on endurance. You can't judge an individual's athletic potential based on their outward appearance, and there's no reason to be ashamed of whatever your exercise strengths or weaknesses might be, even if they're not like the person's next to you at the gym.

2. The ruder you are, the less the staff wants to help

There's always something to complain about. Whether it's broken equipment, billing errors, not enough of this, too much of that, no gym is 'perfect'. While yes, obviously if something is wrong, the customer has the right to be 'annoyed', reacting in an excessive manner, demeaning the employee, or 'making a scene' is uncalled for and isn't going to help your case. I've noticed that our managers go the extra mile more often for the clients who report problems in a calm and reasonable manner than the ones who lose their cool the moment something doesn't go their way. Usually, the more frazzled the customer becomes, the less clear they become with what the actual issue is, and it's actually harder for the employee to help solve the problem. It's human nature to respond to hostility with either hostility in reverse or at the very least a defensive tone, so although an employee is trained to be as respectful and accommodating as possible, don't use that as a reason to take advantage of them and treat them as inferiors. This goes for not just gym employees, but also waitresses and waiters, cashiers, or any other service workers you might deal with. Also, generally, the person you're complaining too isn't the reason the problem occurred in the first place, so blaming them won't do you much good either.

3. This business really is all about 'sex'

I've already pointed this out once, but it warrants repeating. Like the world of marketing, the world of fitness loves to utilize the innate human attraction towards pleasure to persuade new members into signing up for memberships and personal training agreements. Hiring attractive trainers makes sense. People are more likely to train with someone if they're either attracted to them or want to look like them (even if it's subconsciously). One of our gym's trainers isn't even certified, and it wasn't much of a secret that her impressive good looks played a role in getting her the job. However, the sex appeal tactic in this industry extends beyond the personnel. The club I worked for closed its original location halfway through the summer to open up a brand new and improved 'signature' fitness center. It gave them an opportunity to bring in all new equipment and completely remodel their interior design layout with the intention of attracting a younger demographic (while keeping their current population happy). They chose a 'sexier' and more contemporary look to the new space: darker color schemes, slimmer and sleeker weights, less bulky equipment, and a 'mind-body room' and cycling studio with classic 'mood' lighting. The old couches were even replaced with brand new love seats. There's nothing like sofas, saunas, and sweat to get hormones raging and people excited about spending money.

4. Age is apparently just a number

This is something I, unfortunately, picked up pretty quickly as one of the youngest employees (specifically a female). Many people use the gym solely for improving their individual health and well-being, but others see it as a way to 'meet new people'...if you know what I mean. It's no secret that fitness centers have their fair share of flirting and pick-up attempts, and my gym is no exception. While some instances were consensual, I noticed that some interactions were forced, awkward, and frankly inappropriate. What was even more disconcerting to me was that in the majority of cases, the attempts were made by older men and younger women or older women on younger men. And I'm not talking one to five year age gaps. One man in his mid-thirties would follow around one of my twenty-year-old co-workers and repeatedly ask her personal questions or invite her on dates, despite her rejections. While working at the pre-sale tent we had set up to drum-up awareness for the opening of our new gym I had multiple men at least 15 years older than me make inappropriate comments or invite me on dates. One even gave me two different business cards with his phone number on it, and sent me flowers, after I turned him down the first time and telling him I had a boyfriend. He was at least 30. Some of the younger male trainers at my gym had older women invite them to their houses or flirt with them shamelessly (regardless of their marital status). While it is possible you'll meet your soul mate (or should I say 'swoll mate') in the free weight section or in spin class, it's best to make sure the connection is mutual, and stick to an appropriate age range.

5. The 'judging' that goes on at gyms isn't about what you think...

Gym-timidation prevents many people from both signing and showing up. Beginners, those who are out of shape, or just self-conscious often feel uneasy or hesitant when it comes to working out where other people can see them and potentially 'judge' them. Planet Fitness even advertises a 'judgment free zone' to help recruit these kinds of people to their gym, but let's face it, it's pretty much inevitable. However, that being said, what I found interesting to learn is that, at least at my gym, the 'judging' that occurs isn't about anyone's physicality or ability. The fact that you're at the gym in the first place is commendable enough, and honestly, most people are too focused on their selves and their workouts to even notice what you're doing. What people do notice and criticize others is more about their 'distractions'. Someone always on their phone and spending more time snap chatting or texting than actually doing their work out might raise some eyebrows from fellow members. If you're there to just talk or, like what I mentioned right before this, hit on people, others trying to be productive and focused with their time may be a little annoyed. Taking rests between sets is one thing, doing one rep and then watching a youtube video while taking up the leg press machine for ten minutes is another. No one cares what you're wearing, if you sweat a lot, or use light weights. They're just there to work out, and they expect you to do the same.

6. Don't sleep on group classes

One of my favorite aspects of a membership at the particular gym I worked for was the unlimited access to all group fitness classes offered. Because most of my workouts are sport-specific and pre-planned, I don't really use this option too often, but I learned this summer that for many people- it's a lifesaver. Group Fitness has come along way since Richard Simmons. Our gym has lots of variety: 'Body Pump', 'Body Flow', yoga, Zumba, ballet bar, spin, cardio, 'HIIT', abs class, and more. Some of our members only use the gym for its array of classes and trust me, there's nothing wrong with that. It's significantly cheaper than personal training, but you still get the advantage of having someone keep you focused and motivated during your work out. Also, working out alone can often lead to an individual becoming distracted or lethargic; whereas in a group setting- you have no choice but to keep up with the others around you. Taking an exercise class is a good way to mix up your weekly or daily routine and remind you that working out doesn't have to be boring or miserable- you can have fun and burn calories at the same time. One stereotype that I learned to ignore this summer was the stigma of group classes being 'easy'. Some of the instructors and members who participate are insane. Surviving a 30-minute core class is harder with one trainer than it sounds. There's a 6 am spin class on Mondays and even the fittest of athletes leave absolutely drenched. Even Zumba, which is literally dancing in lieu of cardio, can burn you up to 500 calories in one class. A lot of members I met over the course of these past few months have overcome incredible weight loss journeys and they attribute a large part of that to group fitness.

7. Quality > Quantity

The people who "spend all day" in the gym aren't necessarily the ones making the largest gains or burning the most calories. In fact, you can actually do more in thirty minutes than some people will do in three hours. I've had some people swipe in at 10 and not leave until almost 1, but they spend over half of that time on their phone. You've got the people that come in and take twenty minutes between each exercise to socialize or look in the mirror. It's one thing to take needed rest, it's another to waste time. One hour of working out is only 4% of the day, and you can get a lot done with an hour. You don't need to spend your whole life in the gym to get healthy or strong. A few times a week, thirty minutes to an hour a half a day can be more effective than every day for two hours if you use your time wisely. Quality over quantity applies to actual exercises as well. Doing twenty reps of light weight with bad form isn't going to be as effective as six reps of appropriate weight with the best form possible. Some people like to 'show off' by using heavy weights, but squatting 300 lbs means nothing if you're squatting with incorrect form- you'd get more out of 225 with proper technique.

8. Read EVERYTHING before you make it official

This might seem like an obvious one, but you'd be surprised how often people complain about charges or guidelines that they agreed to with their own signatures. When you sign a contract- whether it be for a gym, a job, or a subscription to a magazine- it's imperative to ensure that you understand the fine print points of the deal. That includes cancellation policies, details of pricing, and any loopholes that the company use to swindle money from your pockets. For example, my gym offered a sign-up fee and then a standard month to month rate when you sign up for a membership. However, what many guests miss when agreeing to the negotiation is the 'cleaning' fee that we charge semi-annually. You can only imagine the number of incensed phone calls we receive for that one. There are also strict rules as to when canceling will result in no additional fees versus when you have to pay for the following month, but everyone tries to fight that too. However, it's hard to debate a manager on something like that when they've got indelible proof that you understand the terms and conditions.

9. It's all in the details

There's a surprising amount of minute components that go into the running of a gym. For starters: towels. There's like forty-three ways to fold towels, but only one right way to fold each towel of a certain size. And if your gym is extra enough like mine- there are also eucalyptus-oil scented or individually-wrapped chilled towels. There's also a wrong and right way to scan a member in. Of course, you have the cleaning of the exercise equipment, mats, bathrooms, locker rooms, front desk, kids club, windows, and the list goes on. Even just the refrigerator and the protein bar box requires weekly inventory and daily straightening up. Signing in as a guess may seem superfluous with all the excess information you have to provide, but gyms are extremely meticulous, and they will use every single personal bit of information you give them to track you down and harass you to sign up. There are check-in lists, sales reports, refilling of supplies, and a whole list of other little things that may seem trivial, but in reality, all contribute to the club's basic functioning.

10. The job comes with more than just the free membership

Having a part-time summer job at the gym certainly has its pros and cons. There are the not-so-nice side-effects like minimum wage pay, the unrelenting odor of sweat that sticks to your clothes hour after you've left the building, the ringing of crying babies in your ears from kid's club, the erratic schedule, the unsolicited pick-up attempts, and some of the less-than-pleasant guests. But once you learn to put the mind-over-matter mantra to work, you start realizing how much there is to appreciate at your place of employment. This summer I got to workout almost every day at an all-new and state-of-the-art gym for free, meet some awesome trainers, managers, and clients (who would eventually become my friends), learn more about fitness, exercise, and the interworkings of running a business, and get paid to help out at a place that I love. My job itself might have been boring at times, but the surrounding atmosphere around me was always interesting. I wouldn't necessarily want to work here again, mainly because of the pay rate (broke college student over here), but I'm still glad I got to experience it.

From Your Site Articles