31 Reasons Why You Should Not Kill Yourself

Suicide is a final decision to a temporary circumstance- a decision that closes the door to any and all opportunities for your life to get better.

424

I haven’t seen 13 Reasons Why, but I’ve seen that it has sparked major controversy concerning the subject of suicide. When I was in middle school and high school, I was contemplating suicide. Eventually, with some help from those who are closest to me, I made the strong decision to not end my life.

I realized that suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. There was so much to live for and if I ended my life, then I wouldn’t be able to experience those fulfilling goals I had planned for myself.

Those who have suicidal thoughts often question why they should not commit suicide. Instead of thirteen reasons why you shouldn’t contemplate suicide, I’m going to give you 31 reasons:

1. Nothing is permanent
  2. Don’t be too hard on yourself
  3. You are so much stronger
  4. You are not what happened to you
  5. People do care about you
  6. It gets better
  7. Relief is around the corner
  8. There is always help
  9. It is not your fault. Whatever you are going through, it is not your fault.
  10. You matter: to your family, to the people whose lives you have touched
  11. Although it may not feel like it, you are indeed loved
  12. Your friends and family will be devastated
  13. You are too beautiful to disappear
  14. You are perfect in someone’s eyes
  15. You are worth more than you think
  16. There are far more positive things to think about
  17. You will miss out on the opportunity on having a nice warm cup of coffee on a cold December morning
  18. That feeling of being alive is just wonderful
  19. You play a part in everyone’s life
  20. You are an amazingly wonderful person and it would be a shame if you’ll go
  21. Breakdowns eventually pave the way to breakthroughs
  22. One day, all these suicidal thoughts will just be a memory. Keep holding on until that happens.
  23. It is okay to ask for advice
  24. Your future partner will thank the heavens for your existence
  25. Someone in this world is dying to see that smile of yours
  26. You did not go through everything you just went through just to have your life ended right now
  27. You still have the whole world to see
  28. You are bigger than any of your problems
  29. Somebody out there is constantly praying to meet someone like you
  30. No one can replace you
  31. You still have dreams to fulfill

Giving up isn’t in your nature. You have so much power. Literally, nothing is stopping you from walking out of that door and hugging every dog you see. The power and urge inexplicable. There’s just so much in there. Don’t throw it away. It is common to feel the pain, especially emotional pain, is not going to end. It is human nature to avoid discomfort and pain but nothing is everlasting. Death is final. There are no more chances given.

Bad experiences often have a tendency to make us feel undeserving or think that somehow we caused them. This is totally false. Our experiences do not define who we are. Experiences are events, who we are is who we choose to become.

Do what it takes to make your life worth living. Meet people and create deep connections. This will also lead to those key moments of your life that make it feel worthwhile. So talk to someone. If you aren’t comfortable with that write about it or record yourself. Let it out. Don’t let the pressure get to you. OK?

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline

1-800-273-8255

Available 24 hours everyday