A thank you letter to my parents

A thank you letter to my parents

(mom cried)

26
A thank you letter to my parents
media.giphy.com

Dear Mummy and Papa,
Growing up, I have had several friends and strangers saying "You have such cool parents! Damn! I'm so jealous." And I agree with them, I most definitely have the set of coolest parents a kid could ask for. People feel you are 'cool' for not the best reasons. They assume that you guys are 'cool' because it's fine if I slip my tongue and say the F-word or you don't mind me having male friends or perhaps you let me choose my own career path.

Well, they are right but there are reasons you allow me to do these things. I may have never said this to you guys but I want to take this chance to thank you for making me the person I am today.

I never became dependent on anyone be it you or my friends. I always did my work on my own. Since the 1st grade, I have learnt to live alone, be independent, make my own meals, dress myself up, going to the washrooms by myself and do basic chores. Whenever I see teenagers my age, who still don't know how to prepare a meal or do basic chores, I feel so bad for them that they have to be dependent on someone.

Thank you for teaching me to respect everyone and anyone, irrespective of their age, gender, financial status, sexual orientation, religion and caste.

You made me realize the importance of equality. Girls can smoke, guys can also wear makeup, you can love anyone you want to.

You never forced me to get good grades and be the perfect kid, because you knew what I was good at and only encouraged me to focus on that and ignore what other people said to me and about me. You never convinced me to choose a specific career path. Instead, you trusted me to select the best path for myself and even if I failed, being okay with it and encouraging me to try again. You never treated me like a kid but as an individual.

We as a family were uncomfortable with hugs and kisses but also made sure not to impose them, that it becomes unhealthy and demanding.

Thank you, for creating an environment where I could discuss anything and everything going on in my life, mentally and physically. You explained to me why women get periods and not made it a taboo to discuss if anything was wrong with my body. You explained human reproductive organs and intercourse, even when my own school teacher didn't. You made it normal to discuss these things openly.

Thank you for not changing the channel or tell me to get water or do something when there was a sex scene going on in a movie. Rather, when you saw me get uncomfortable, you made it a bit casual.

You didn't make it a big deal if I cussed. Because of that, I knew the boundaries of cussing.

You respected the fact that I didn't have to discuss anything that I didn't want to until I was ready to discuss.

Thank you, for not letting me go to that party when you felt that the people were not decent or the place was too shady. You trusted me to make my own friends and respected my decisions-making. But when something went wrong, I had your lap to cry on and your hand calming me down.

Thank you for incorporating in me that I didn't have to lie about anything with you. And even if I tried to, I would start feeling guilty about it and just tell you the truth. You taught me to confront my mistakes and have the courage to tell them.

Thank you for understanding that studying was not my forte, and helped me out to do the best I could, by making me study and studying with me as well. I still remember the all-nighters we pulled in my 10th and 12th. You didn't have to do that but you did which I'm grateful about this till date.

Thank for coming shopping with me whenever I said "I have nothing to wear!", even though you knew my closet was overflowing with clothes. You always said, "Go colour your hair or get a tattoo or maybe something crazy and fun." You are my best friends who also happened to be my parents.

Thank you for involving me in every important discussion and not considering me a child who got excluded in every conversation. You knew that I have my own opinions and made sure that I knew they mattered.

You offered me drinks when you were making yourself one. Because of this, I had no curious how alcohol tasted so I didn't get excited and drank too much when you weren't around. I never drank or smoked when you weren't present. I always refused when anyone offered me, saying " I only drink or smoke with my parents". This used to be a shock to every person and they really got jealous.

I truly am obliged to have you as my parents and I can't thnk you enough for everything that to did for me.

Yours lovingly,
Shachi