Going To The Gym: As Told By Friends

Going To The Gym: As Told By Friends

"So no one told you weight-loss was gonna be this way"

10
Going To The Gym: As Told By Friends
Ask Dr Ernst

The gym is a terrible, magical, sweaty place full of dreamers, believers and body-builders alike. No matter your purpose in attending, these are a few thoughts and feelings anyone and everyone experiences before and/or during the entire gym process as told by the cast of Friends.

1. Beforehand Contemplation.

Is it worth it? Let me work it. Put my food down, flip it and reverse it. And then eat it. But you're right: summer is approaching quick and I'm the size of my couch. Who could it hurt?

2. Signing up for a membership.

You're on top of the world (or table) and nothing can stop you from reaching your fitness goals. And you get a free t-shirt! FREEBIES!

3. The First Weeks of Working Out.

You come early. You stay late. You join exercise classes you didn't even know existed like combat yoga and something called pilates. It's a joyous few weeks full of copious sweat stains and aching limbs.

4. Noticing Progress.

You did it. After a few weeks of hard work, sweat and tears the effort you put in is finally showing. Cherish those few seconds of success in the mirror, because you'll never be satisfied from here on out.

5. Settling into a regimen.

Cardio. Weight-training. Cardio. Weight-training. It becomes second-nature and your go-to plan at the gym day in and day out.

6. The Dressing Rooms.

So much pale, wrinkled skin. You can take an arm from flabby to muscular, but there is no amount of working out or training to un-see what has been seen in the gym dressing room.

7. Using New Machines.

"LET'S DO THIS!" You say to yourself as you try to decide whether those pads should be in your face or beneath you and whether or not you push down/up/or pull the bars towards you.

8. Motivating Yourself For the Gym.

Is it worth it? Let me work it. Put my membership card down, flip it and reverse it. And you're paying for a membership. You might as well go.

9. No One Looks Good Working Out.

Blame it on whatever you want. Literally no one looks good working out. You're sweaty, sticky and red in the face. If you're looking for love, the gym ain't the place.

10. The Gym Ups and Downs.

Seasons change and you'll inevitably take breaks from the gym. But learning to get back in is apart of the game. Just don't let those breaks be your downfall.

11. Finding Your Place.

Though the gym can suck at times, you'll eventually find your niche or the place where you belong. Whether that be alongside a pack of Crossfit junkies or pedaling a bike, the gym is a community unto itself and a place where anyone belongs.