The Chronically Ill Student

The Chronically Ill Student

It's like trying to adult while under water.

28
The Chronically Ill Student
Kayla Broday

Since I was 13 years old, I've had a list building up of things that are constantly keeping me in pain. Over the years we have come to find out what those syndromes were called. Most of all, we found out that the chances of them going away are slim to none. So now, I face life with chronic pain and possible health complications. Even with all of this happening, I am not going to let it stop me from getting my education.

I tried going to a four-year university straight out of high school, but once I started going, the walking from place to place started making my whole body ache and hurt. Over time, I started to not being able to go to class. I was in bed dealing with muscle spasms, nerve pain, and migraines. I went from going to school full time to being a full time Spoonie (people measuring personal daily abilities much as one would measure the proper amount of spoons needed for an event or occasion... sometimes having an abundance, other times coming up short.) Eventually, I had to drop out and move back home. Once I did, I had to battle myself to get better, or at least to the point where I could go to school part time.

Now I am at Harper, seeing what I can make of myself. I've been struggling physically, but I'm pushing through. If I don't, my education will be pushed off all over again. I can't wait until I get better because I won't. But I can build for my future now so that when I'm older, I can be comfortable and happy with what I'm doing. I just need to keep fighting.