Going Back To Move Forward

Going Back To Move Forward

We all need some sense of closure - there is no shame in reliving your past.

3
Going Back To Move Forward
college cures

As humans, we are constantly developing our mind, body, and our hearts. Along the way, we find interests that we develop a true passion for in order to realize our bigger picture. From fine arts to occupations to athletics, we strive to become the best versions of ourselves.

No matter what interest you find, when we first start, we're brand new to it and have plenty to learn in order to have a chance at success. There may be several highs and lows along the way. We may have great days, practices, or sessions, and then have the opposite the next day. Certain tasks will come easier to us than others, but that is more than okay, and here is why:

With the right mindset, the struggles give us the itch to feed ourselves more knowledge. Our struggles give us more potential and areas for growth. If we want success bad enough, we will stick with our respective crafts because we love them.

Eventually, we find ourselves sticking with our newfound passions for substantial periods of time. We get to a point where a passion becomes the air that we breathe. It becomes almost impossible for us to imagine what our lives will be like without these passions.

However, in most instances, all good things do come to an end.

Yes, it depends on each circumstance, but for the most part, we decide to end our tenures with our loves because another door will soon open, which will then show us another potential love.

Our goal in life should not be to miss what we once had, but rather, to reflect on the good times and continue to become five-tool individuals.

That, my friends, is a true American Dream.

While we can never be perfect, we can have strong enough proficiency in any area we want not only to benefit ourselves, but to also become valuable resources to those around us.

On a personal level, I have been fortunate enough to have talent in several areas, from working with children, public speaking, cooking, arts and crafts, wrestling, and to being a good friend and family member. Besides my family, my first true love and talent was wrestling.

I was a wrestler for 12 years, and did so because I wanted to gain close friendships and get tougher on all levels, which served as my motivators. While my first few years sucked getting my butt kicked and getting in shape, the fear of letting everyone down by quitting is what kept me going along with my love of individual competition.

With these two intrinsic factors keeping me going, I soon saw myself improving my craft immensely and gaining a deep love for the sport. All through middle and high school, and college, I could never imagine my life without my love because then, I would have nothing. Thankfully, I had incredible support around me to guide me to other outlets to supplement what I already truly loved.

So even as my senior year of college wrestling came to a close, I knew I had lived this chapter of my life the right way by putting every bit of effort I had into it and with no lingering regrets. I knew I had bigger things ahead and that I could apply my knowledge to help the next crop of athletes. However, it didn't change the fact that a part of me was missing.

I missed and will always miss that chapter of my life. I missed being around the guys, being banged up, and grinding every single day. It was hard for me to stay out of the spotlight. I did everything I could to stay connected with that band of brothers.

This past weekend, I drove five hours with constant icy roads to my former college campus to watch a tournament, which just one year ago, I had competed well in. I had a fear of everything hitting me hard and digging an even deeper hole in my heart. But, as soon as I stepped into the gym, I had another feeling hit me.

This was the feeling of pride. I was proud to have made the drive up there and support every one of my former teammates that were wrestling and proud that I still got to enjoy the sport, albeit in a different way. I realized that I never had to feel empty inside because I lived the previous chapter of my life, being a wrestler, the right way.

The point of this is that even if you miss being around an environment, in the spotlight, and among your crowd, then go back and relish the excitement again as a positive influence. But, if you already lived a chapter of your life the way you wanted to, then why do you need to live it again?

Sometimes, just reflecting on the good times doesn't always help. Sometimes, we just need to relish a moment one last time. This gives us the proper closure that we need and that we deserve.

So, sometimes, it is in fact best to go back in order to move forward in life.