Going Away For College

Going Away for College Was the Best decision I've Ever Made

30 minutes was TOO close

244
Alexis Collins

If your high school experience was anything like mine, by the time senior year rolled around, you were ready to get OUT of the house. There was never anything wrong with my family and nothing crazy dramatic happened during high school, but I just did not want to be in my hometown anymore. Although many of my classmates were going to a university 30 minutes away from home, I was ready to branch out.

It didn't matter much how far I went, but I did not want it to be convenient for me to come home every week. Of course, if I needed to go home I could, but I wanted to be far enough that I wouldn't WANT to make the drive. As much as I love my family, I knew that they would expect me to come home far more often if I were closer.

And although it was annoying the first couple times I got stressed and just wanted to go home, I learned to get through it. The first couple months of college are a BIG adjustment; teaching myself how to cook was a major learning curve. I became more independent and learned that I didn't need my mom to fix every little problem.

Crazy how that happens.

My mom and I became a great deal closer when I moved out. We have learned to appreciate the time we have together when I'm home. When you're only home for a couple weeks out of the year, you don't really want to spend that time arguing.

When I come home, I get to meet up with my high school friends and appreciate their presence a little bit more. I get to hear about their school friends and all of the fun they're having. Plus, visiting them at school makes for a good road trip for long weekends.

Being a little bit further from home for school, I've gotten the chance to meet people that I may have never gotten the chance to. Going to a big school means being surrounded by thousands of people who are nothing like me.

And I love it.

I have gotten more exposure to different kinds of people since being in college than I did in the 18 years I spent at home. I have met people who are my age and have travelled the world and experienced things that I can only imagine. I am surrounded by people who are motivated to do great things and it is inspiring. It is inspiring to hear the aspirations of those around me.

I have gotten the opportunity to eat at restaurants and shop at stores that I never had before. And while the items in these places may not be that different from those at home, it is a chance to experience something new.

I'm breaking out of my comfort zone one step at a time. Some steps are smaller than others, but not everything is going to be as I expect. Going away for school has allowed me to really appreciate my family and my hometown while also sparking my curiosity for what else is out there.