Why You Should Seriously Consider Giving Blood More Than Once A Year

You hold the promise of someone else's life inside of you.

11
Shaw Air Force Base

There are so many reasons that I feel we should give blood that I think the more appropriate question is: why aren't you giving blood if you can?

Maybe it's because they prick your finger to test your iron level, or there's a temporary pinch when they use the needle. Maybe you don't have time. There are so many donation opportunities so that maybe one of them can fit in your schedule. Or maybe you can't give blood for medical reasons or are like some of my friends who have a phobia of needles.

If you aren't dealing with a phobia, please keep reading and hopefully the pros will outweigh the cons and you can save peoples lives.

See the first reason we should give blood is simply because we can. If you look at the history of blood transfusions, humankind hasn’t always been this lucky. The first successful blood transfusion was performed in 1665 on a dog. Then in 1818 there was the first successful blood transfusion of human blood to a human patient.

However, the efficiency of the process is not really refined. In fact, in the late 1800s, saline and milk were commonly used as blood substitutes. It wasn’t until the 1940s that the Red Cross was formed and opened up it’s blood program for civilians. Now life expectancy is longer and blood transfusions are such an integral and life saving aspect of the wonderful medical care that society has today.

Another reason to give blood is because of who you are helping. Your blood can go to a number of people like children with anemia, people who suffered severe trauma from natural disasters, women who undergo pregnancy complications and need transfusions for themselves and their child, or people with medical conditions including cancer patients.

There are many options but one thing is certain: that all these people need blood transfusions to stay alive and healthy.

If the intrinsic value of saving up to three lives with one donation, as reported by the Red Cross, isn’t enough, then donate blood for the extrinsic benefits.

It’s a free way to check up on your health, including balancing your iron levels, a way to grab some snacks and bottled water, and well it's an excused absence from classes or work. Also, altruism can help you live longer. You’re living longer, the people who need the transfusions are living longer, so now the question is why not?

Time magazine reports that volunteering “can reduce early mortality rates by 22%, compared to those in people who don’t,” but that was based off of a study in which people volunteered at least an hour of work once a month, so one or two blood donations doesn’t exactly cut it.

But, seriously, I encourage you to try and give blood and see if afterward you just have a sense of feeling better and healthier.

Why should you give blood often instead of just maybe once a year? Well sadly blood can’t be stored for a large period of time, but wouldn’t that be great if it could? And we could just keep saving up blood guaranteeing that when someone needs it, it will be there.

Another reason you should give is because we are capable of giving blood.

I understand people have a fear of needles or medical reasons why they can’t give blood. Maybe you tried and you passed out or got anxiety, and there’s nothing wrong with that because at least you tried. But more people can give.

I know this because after 9/11, Red Cross reported that a quarter of a million people went out to donate blood, and that's incredible to see such a wonderful response to such a terrible disaster. But why does there need to be such a horrific disaster for people to want to give blood? Sure we needed it more than ever then, but we still need blood now and every single day.

Lastly, the Red Cross says that 1 in 3 people will need blood in their lifetime. I hope you are fortunate enough not to need blood, but you can probably think of someone who has needed a transfusion in their lifetime or maybe you needed one. The Red Cross reports that an average of 41,000 blood transfusions are needed a day and that’s why it’s so important to give.

It would be awesome if we could artificially make blood ensuring that every person could have a transfusion when they need one. but sadly we can’t. The only source of human blood is you, your neighbor, and healthy humans all over the world.

Your blood is so important and the bone marrow in your system right now is how you get it, from there the blood circulates throughout your body transporting oxygen and nutrients that your body uses to function. I hope you realize the importance of your blood, and what it does for you and what it can do for someone else.

And I hope that next time there’s a blood drive in your area you think about donating, or please spread the word to others who will hopefully donate.

After all, if you find that it can’t hurt to try it, you can know that you certainly will help save lives.