Why Girls with Big Sisters are the Luckiest

An older sister can easily be taken for granted, but shouldn't be.

83

Any little sister knows that having an older sister comes with an endless amount of advantages. My sister is 4 years older than me, and thinking about growing up with her has me wondering if I would have ever survived without her. She has been there for every part of my life, good and bad, and provided a tremendous positive impact. An older sister is more than someone to argue with at the dinner table, she is a forever friend and role model. Coming into the world with an older sister waiting for you is a true blessing, and growing up together has an extensive amount of benefits (like the few examples listed below).

1. Free clothes

Growing up with an older sister meant you inherited all her clothes as soon as she grew out of them. This could be seen as a good or bad thing, since you didn’t get to buy as many new clothes as she did, but my sister and I always had the same style so I was always excited to hear that an article of clothing no longer fit her and would be passed down to me. Nowadays, we’re more or less the same size, which means we have double the closet at half the price. We both take advantage of this

2. She mellowed your parents out for you.

Your sister did all the things that your parents were strict about first. She brought the first boyfriend home, got piercings and tattoos first, and had her share of after-curfew scolding. So, once you started doing these things, they were much less of a big deal and you probably were able to do them at a much younger age.

3. A personal tutor.

School's hard, but she’s already taken all of the courses you’re struggling with, so she is your personal guide with these subjects. She’ll provide you with her method of tackling impossible Geometry or help you with ideas for your History project. She can even help you warm up to teachers at a new school if she already had them before you.

4. She’s already gone through your current struggles.

First breakups, first periods, shopping for prom dresses and applying to colleges — scary and completely unfamiliar experiences, if you don’t have someone who already went through and conquered them already, that is. Your older sister knows exactly what advice to give you. It’s a lot better than getting advice from your mom, who faced similar struggles during a very different time.

5. A childhood roommate.

I used to hate having the bottom bunk in a bunk bed and not being able to decorate my own private space, since I’ve always shared a room. I even considered fighting to take the office as my bedroom after we moved into a bigger house. But, I’m glad my parents rejected that idea because I got to enjoy late-night conversations and Netflix marathons. Today, I’m sad to be going to college soon and living without her for the first time.

6. You can cover for each other.

She’s obviously not going to tell on you for coming home past your curfew because you covered her tracks when she snuck out last week. And vice-versa. The cycle continues and you can always trust that you'll have each others' backs.

7. Someone to rant to.

You don’t have to worry about your sister backstabbing you when you’re trash-talking a girl at school or spreading the gossip that you heard and decided to share. She’s a completely neutral listener.

8. An eternal source of honest advice.

I can always count on my sister to tell me when my hair’s a mess or when I’m being unreasonable or bitchy. Your older sister is not afraid to hurt your feelings; she’ll tell it to you completely straight. Don’t take this for granted because it is extremely hard to come across, even if it sometimes stings a little bit.

9. A free Uber driver.

If your big sister didn’t get constantly annoyed from having to drive you everywhere, from school to friends’ houses to the mall, then did you even have a big sister?

10. A role model.

Almost every time I’ve had to make a decision about what to do, I’d first ask myself, what would my older sister do? I’ve always tried to emulate her style, behavior, and kindness. Having someone to mirror makes growing up easier and has helped craft me into a better person.

11. A lifetime best friend.

Friends come and go as you grow up and change, but sisters are blood and are there forever. This is the best part of having an older sister, I think: never having to worry about being alone, because your better half will always be a part of your life, no matter where you are or who you've become.