Women Are Owning The Olympics

Women Are Owning The Olympics

Who runs the world?

16
Women Are Owning The Olympics
Blog Spot

Watching Katie Ledecky finish more than 10 seconds ahead of her competition, I was fairly sure she was the coolest girl on this planet. She became the second Olympian to win three individual freestyle gold medals since Debbie Meyer in 1968. And oh yeah, she’s only 19 years old. The Olympics this time around has given me more than just opportunities to lose my voice cheering for the US or crying over Olympians holding puppies (!). I’ve found role models in girls both older than me and my age, doing what they love and being amazing at it as well. Simone Biles and Simone Manuel both won gold medals on the same day together, Simone becoming the first female African-American swimmer to win gold for America and Simone Biles the fourth US athlete in a row to win gold in all around. Both faced constant adversity and derogatory comments throughout their training. Biles even stood against those who did not believe her adoptive parents were her “real parents.” Additionally, she made a powerful statement saying “I’m not the next Usain Bolt or Michael Phelps. I’m the first Simone Biles.” Biles references the constant attachment to previously successful athletes many up and coming Olympians face, especially women, disallowing them to make a name for themselves.

Furthermore, after Manuel won, she spoke of the inspiration she specifically found through previous African-American swimmers and how she hoped to be an example for those to follow. All these women, and many more, such as Michelle Carter, Aly Raisman, Kerri Walsh-Jennings, Ibtihaj Muhammad, and Maya Dirado, have not only made the US proud, but the female community allowing girls to understand that hard work and dedication does pay off. To dream big and hope to be an Olympian one day is perfectly OK. In what once as a male dominated arena, girls are proving that they have every capability to be amazing as well.

Not only are Team US’s girls shining but across the globe as well. Penny Oleksiak of Canada is only 16 years old and she has four Olympic medals, one being gold. No matter how young you are, the Olympic arena gives the opportunity for individuals to shine. Kariman Abuljadayel became the first Saudi woman to compete in the 100m track race. Saudi Arabia once did not even allow women to compete in the Olympics, and the site of a female competing is still considered a rarity. Kariman is making strides for women in her country, encouraging more women to take the leap forward and express a desire to compete in the Olympics. Although Saudi Arabia does not give women the best facilities and outlets for improvement, Kariman will hopefully initiate the improvement of conditions for women in Saudi when it comes to athletics. Mónica Puig of Puerto Rico became not only the first female gold medalist from the country but also the first gold medalist EVER! Her win was an underdog victory and she was able to transform a match that went against her at all odds into a history making moment. Dipa Karmakar also made history for India, being the first Indian to ever compete and gymnastics. Not only did she set the stage for Indian gymnastics, but she qualified for finals, placing one off a bronze medal. Dipa has stated that when she initially started training, her gym had no equipment and she struggled from flat feet, a huge impediment in the world of gymnastics. However, that didn't stop her and she now has won the approval of millions around the world and the hearts of all Indians. She gives an example to women across the globe, specifically India, to never allow what society make consider an obstacle become an obstacle to you.

History isn't made from missed chances and fear. Finally, many were rooting for Yusra Mardini since day one, a member of the refugee Olympic team. Although she did not advance to the semi-finals in her event, she still won first place in her heat. To go from pushing a boat for three hours to save multiple lives to training for the Olympics is a huge jump. Yusra proved to the world that anything is possible and location and previous circumstances do not matter. She truly has a "make the most of the now" mentality.

Women, keep doing what you're doing at the Olympics and owning everything you set your sights on! This world needs more role models like you.