To The Girl Who Thinks She's Not Good Enough

Sweet girl, you couldn’t be more wrong.

660
LONGWALLPAPERS

In a world full of judgments, it’s easy to feel like you’re not enough for it. Negativity is so easy to let in. It’s like that old friend that you know is toxic, but something about them pulls you back in all over again. Sadness is addicting. It’s overwhelming. It’s... exhausting. But you’re not alone.

Feeling like you aren’t good enough stems from one thing- shame. Shame is such an underused word, but it is the platform on which your depression or anxiety is building. Are you ashamed of your clothes? Your hair? Your pant size? So many people are. I am. I feel like I’m not good enough for my parents, even though they say they're proud.

I feel like I’m not good enough for the few jobs I’m balancing. I feel like I’m not good enough to be an artist. I'm not enough to be a sister, or daughter, or girlfriend, or friend. And why do I feel that way? Because shame said so. I’m ashamed of my weight, my anxiety, and so much more. I’m ashamed of my mental health. And that’s heartbreaking to realize.

Because there’s legitimately nothing I can do about the fact that I have a chemical imbalance in my brain that leads to me to anxiety and depression. There’s nothing wrong with it either. I know deep down, that it doesn’t even matter. I’m still me. And my brain and my heart and my body make me who I am.

But for as long as I can remember, I’ve compared my body to everyone else’s. I’ve looked and thought to myself, “Why do my legs look bigger than theirs?" Or "Why does their hair fall that way but mine doesn't?” Why is that when we see other women who are larger or curvier than us, do we feel better about ourselves?

It’s terrible to even think about doing that ’d. But everyone has done it at some point. Everyone’s thought “I’m glad I’m the prettiest here,” then quickly remind themselves that that doesn’t really matter. Because there are so many things I want to be other than pretty. I want to be pretty smart. I want to be pretty funny.

I want to be relatable and trustworthy. I want to be respected. It’s SO important to remember that your first thought is what you’re conditioned to think about people. Your second thought is really who you are as a person.

But shame comes in all shapes and sizes. It’s easy to combat with comparison. But that’s not going to fix it. Shame is shame. There’s no rhyme or reason to it. And everyone’s shame is different. Shame tells you that you’re not good enough. Shame says to keep your head down. Shame is an old friend that needs to stay in the past.

They’re welcoming and warm on the outside, but deep down, it’s a lonely way down the rabbit hole. I’ve waged a war against shame every day. Some days I lose. Sometimes I’m victorious, and those are the best days. But don’t give up. Shame can never win. All of the things that you’re ashamed of make you who you are. They make me who I am.

So combat it. Wear your armor. Whether that be a full face of makeup, a new shade of lipstick, your leather jacket, your favorite pair of shoes, your necklace or your ring, or even listening to that old Johnny Cash song that makes you feel like you’re a rebel (Man in Black is my go-to!) Tell your shame ENOUGH. Say it every day to yourself until you don’t feel silly saying it. Wake up every day and tell yourself that.

Because you are enough. You’re enough for them. You’re enough for your parents. You’re enough for your grades. You’re enough for your job. You’re enough to me. You’re enough for everybody, as long as you’re good enough to yourself.

Go easy on yourself. Remember to be your own friend, too. Reach out. Breathes fresh air. Buy yourself that cookie and latte. Sleep in the extra hour. Because no matter what you do... you’ll always be enough for you.