Help For The Future First Generation College Student

Your journey hasn't been easy, but hopefully these tips will help!

17
Alice Shirey

As a friend and I were eating dinner, we began to reflect over our first year at Luther College. She, like me, was a first generation student. In much more simple words, we were the first in our family to go to college. We both spoke about the immense struggles and obstacles we had on our journey to the unknown. We looked into each other's eyes and recognized the great pride and shame of being in the position that no one else in our family had ever experienced. We saw pride because we were relentless for college. We understood what could guarantee us a better life than what we grew up with. But, we saw shame, because life was not so bad, was it? We look at our parents and grandparents and we recognized their sacrifice and strength that kept the family going, so, how could we dare say we were going to be better? However, it was those same parents and grandparents that pushed us to something they didn't quite understand but recognized it was the best future for us. We didn’t want that to go to waste. We want to succeed and we want other first generation students to succeed. So, we created a list for you.

1. Involve your parents.

One of the downfalls of being a first generation student is that usually no one around you knows the process of applying for college and everything that comes with it. That’s fine. There are other options for you (which I will discuss later) but involve your parents on your new journey! It’s never too late to understand the process. Especially if you have younger siblings, this knowledge will definitely come in handy later!

2. Take advantage of programs designed for you.

Okay, so you want to go to college, but you don’t know the first thing about going to college. Why? Because, you’re a first generation student, that’s why. Have no fear! Believe it or not, your circumstances make you a very special person. Because of that, there are many programs designed for you. One of the most well known is TRIO. A program dedicated to help you become aware of the process of applying for college. They will hep you tour colleges, write essays, and so much more. In my experience I was actually able to attend a summer camp every year for most of my high school career that is designed to give me the academic realties of college. You’re different, make the most of it!

3. Take time to find SCHOLARSHIPS.

Yes, college is expensive. Ridiculously expensive, if you ask me. But, that’s a topic for another article. Anyhoo, look for scholarships. I started in the summer. Search anything and everything that you can. Start with your school and then spread out into your local communities. Scholarships are literally everywhere. You. Just. Have. To. Look. And, a word of advice? Don’t ignore the small scholarships!

4. Understand that your position does NOT define you.

Usually, first generation students come from a background that may seem limiting. Don’t let this hinder you in any way. Let your circumstances be your motivation. Think of the great change you could bring with your first step of attending college. It’s pretty great.

5. Get help before you actually NEED it.

So, you’re in college. Now, what would be my biggest piece of advice? Don’t wait until you’re struggling to ask for help. Ask before you think you need it. I personally apply this to every aspect of my life, not academics. If you’re feeling lonely or out of place, go talk to someone about it. If you know that you have a weakness for math, but find yourself in Calc 1, sign up for a tutor. You didn’t make it here on your own, your ability to reach out to people for help is what has helped you so much. So, continue to do so.

Good luck!