12 Fun Facts About Rhode Island

12 Fun Facts About Rhode Island

Though we be but little, we are fierce.

19140
12 Fun Facts About Rhode Island

It may be the smallest state in the country, but it is definitely not lacking in character. Here are twelve fun facts that you probably don't know about Rhode Island (and now you can casually slip them into conversation!).

1) Our state pet is the "Big Blue Bug" on the side of the highway in Providence and we like to dress it up for Christmas too.

Is your state this cool?

2) We have Dunkin' Donuts on pretty much every street corner.

For such a small state, we sure do have plenty of coffee and donuts.

3) Our official state drink since 1993 is coffee milk, in case it wasn't already obvious we have a coffee addiction.

Caffeine 24/7.

4) The Hasbro Toys Headquarters is located in Pawtucket.

So basically life is like Toy Story.

5) Rhode Island is named after the Greek Island Rhodes.

#cultured

6) Rhode Island native artist Gilbert Stuart was the man who was responsible for the portrait of George Washington on the $1 bill.

So there is a little piece of Rhode Island in your pocket at all times!

7) Rhode Island's full state name is Rhode Island and Providence Plantations.

But no one has time to say that.

8) Rhode Island native Nicholas Brown, who was a leader in ratifying the constitution, is who Ivy-League Brown University is named after.

Rhode Island is cute and smart!

9) The first ever outdoor polo match in 1876 and the first open golf tournament in the U.S. were both played in Rhode Island.

And athletic!

10) Rhode Island never approved the 18th Amendment, otherwise known as prohibition. It was only 1 of 2 states who didn't approve it.

Because Rhode Island is always down to party.

11) The first circus in the country occurred in Newport in 1774.

12) And the weirdest one is that it is illegal to throw pickle juice at a trolley.

There has got to be a good story behind this one.