How My Coworker Became A Big Sister To Me

How My Coworker Turned Out To Be Like A Big Sister

I never expect to get so close to a coworker, but here I am.

683
Seriana Moya
Seriana Moya

In my family, I grew up as the oldest of two. Being the oldest came with more responsibility, more chores, more everything. I'm sure older siblings can relate. With that being said, I never had an older sibling to look up to. Growing up, I always wished I had a big sister, someone close I could look up to or confide in. Now, I finally do.

It all started last August when we had a new full-time person join our team. I'm not gonna lie, I was skeptical of this person because I enjoyed working with the person before her. As her first few weeks went by, I started to get to know her and realized I would get along with her.

Not only did I get along with her, but I started to feel that I could open up to her. We would talk at work all the time and text occasionally. Then we became closer and closer. She is about 10 years older than me. She has a family and kids, so with all of her life experiences, I could say she knows more than your average person. I know I could go to her about anything and she would know exactly what to say.

She also exposed me to a lot of different experiences that I probably would not have done by myself. Like this past February, she had the opportunity to work at a wine festival that was about 3 hours north of where we live. I drove up to meet her. This experience was one of the best I have had as a young adult who recently turned 21. I was introduced to so many different types of wines. I learned about the origins of the different types. I promise you, I would not have tried any of this on my own. I even tried fancy foods that I never knew existed. Just being away from reality for a weekend was all I could ever ask for and she was able to help me with that.

Brunch has always been something I wasn't interested either. I was taking chances and meeting new people. We had some mimosas and good conversation with different women from throughout my city. It gave me the opportunity to network. Without Felicia, I would not have gone by myself because let's be honest, I am the biggest homebody there is when I am not at school or work.

I have never been much of a yoga person. I always thought you had to be flexible and have a specific body type to do any type of yoga. I remember I thought yoga was about doing headstands or handstands right away. (Thanks P90X for psyching me out.) About a week ago Felicia had invited me to hot yoga with her. At first, I was adamant about it, then I decided why not. After just one class I became obsessed. The energy in the room was so positive and it is exactly what I needed. Granted I am just writing this a few days after my first class, but I am excited to do more with her.

I would have never thought that I would meet someone I would technically consider as my big sister and someone I look up to. I have someone in which I am able to rant to and she can give me feedback and advice on life and even relationships. At the end of the day, Felicia is the type of woman I aspire to be as I get older. She is wise, strong, brave, and a lot more. I am glad to have such a positive role model in my life. Not many people get to know someone in their lifetime like her and I am glad I do. I have noticed you find the best relationships when you least expect it.