Friends Vs. Best Friends

Some people would say I have many friends. I wouldn't agree. The term "friend" is used so lo

o

sely these

days

, that it's hard for a lot of people to realize who they can really count on.

Personally, I've always had a lot of "friends."There were always those people who greeted me regularly in passing, or who'd seen me around since kindergartten; those people whose parents knew my mom, or my uncle, or my dad. I've always had acquaintances, but I've ever only had a few true best friends.

At least for me, it's one thing to call someone a friend, and a completely different thing to refer to a person as a best friend. Sure, friends are great to have. They make you feel a little better when they say hello to you, or remember who you are after a length of time has passed. It's nice to hear them compliment you on the things everyone knows you for. But it's even better when your best friend compliments everything they see in you, because they know all that you've been through, and they loved you through it all.

My bestfriends are the people that patiently listen to my rants about everything that stresses me out, no matter how insignificant they might be. My best friends are there when I need a shoulder to cry on, another brain to help me find a solution, another person to tell my stories to. My best friends are the only people I can fall apart in front of. They are the ones who give me the tough love I need, and the strength to move forward when my own isn't enough. Those who call themselves my friends only see and know what's on the surface, but my best friends, my circle of pals know all that I am, all that has changed about me, all that is changing, and they accept all that will change. Friends claim to know who I am, and the reasons for what I do. True friends know the truth, and stick by me through everything.

Yes, I know a lot of people. Yes, most of these people claim to know me better than they do. However, I only have a few real close friends who haven't let time, distance, change, or differences get in the way of the mutual support and love that matters the most. Best friends won't accuse you of changing when you've stayed the same. Real friends won't put the blame on you for not putting effort into a bond they never cared enough about.

Real friends are not toxic; they don't judge, they don't put you down, and they don't discredit your successes due to their own jealousy. True pals will stick up for you, and they won't talk behind your back or make you feel bad for being who you are.

So... what is the true meaning of friendship? It's the bond you only have with a few people in your life that have always been there. It's the connection that's been maintained no matter how much time has passed, or how far apart you are. It's the unconditional love and brutal honesty that gets you through the toughest of situations. Friendship should never be allowed to dwindle, not if it's real. So make sure you know who your real friends are, and be careful about who you call your best friend, because only best friends can deserve a place in your heart and your life. I have two people from high school I still buy presents for, still meet upwith on breaks, still share crazy college stories in a group chat with. I have a handful of friends I confide in both here at school, and miles away. It's never about the number, but it's about who's always there for you at the end of the day, who cares about you when something's wrong, who you call when you end up in the emergency room on a snow day. choose quality, not quantity every time, because the few and far between best friends you choose will be there to love and support you through the good, the bad, and the happy for the rest of your life.