7 Self-Love Actions That Don't Require You To Spend Money

Self-love is not about the money you spend, but about the time you invest towards your best self.

105

Social media portrays self-love as a "treat yourself" motto. I scroll through my Instagram timeline and see the hashtags #selflove or #treatyourself associated with various pictures of friends splurging on material items. While I do support the occasional retail therapy, I believe that a valid sense of self-worth entails actually loving yourself enough to understand what it is that you deserve emotionally.

I believe that self-love should be reinforced daily since it is reflected in your relationships, friendships, and overall decision-making. Your self-love should not be based on expensive materialistic assets. Therefore, your self-love should not depreciate if you can't splurge on the intriguing new iPhone XR, designer handbag, or other pricey material possessions.

Here are seven satisfying and budget-friendly actions to develop your self-love!

1. Hold standards for yourself.

me.me

I've never understood the adage "keep your friends close and your enemies closer." Truthfully, engaging with people that you know are not good for you is a depreciation of your self-love. Protect yourself and your happiness. Keep ambitious, happy people who are supportive of your best self close and the toxic people who drag you down at a distance.

2. Make time for yourself.

BRUNO CERVERA

Understand that, like coffee or tea kettles, you cannot pour from an empty cup. I'm sure you've heard this self-love tip plenty of times before but, if you're like me, you won't get it done unless it's written on your agenda. So, actually schedule time for yourself to relax. Whether it's taking a bubble bath, lighting your favorite candle, or journaling, do the little things that make you happy. This is the time where you get to take care of you and only you.

3. Engage in opportunities to develop yourself.  

Photo by bruce mars on Unsplash

Make time to not only relax, but to also develop yourself mentally, physically, and emotionally. It isn't a coincidence that people high in self-love often make their health a priority. Establishing healthy habits like exercise and good nutrition helps you feel and look better!

4. Ensure your actions speak louder than your words.

Tom Parsons

I'm the type of person that believes in letting my actions do the talking. If you're going to talk the talk, you also have to walk the walk. Let your self-love shine through your decision-making.

For example, if you are striving to boost your self-love, don't engage with the destructive activities, people, or habits that tore you down in the past. If you want your life to change, you have to do something different. Be strong, move forward, and let go of anything that confines your happiness.

5. Practice forgiveness .

Photo by Lina Trochez on Unsplash

If you're like me, you find it easier to forgive others than to forgive yourself. I've always been my biggest critic but I (finally) fired myself from that awful 10-year employment. Forgive yourself for the mistakes you've made - after all, mistakes are only lessons in disguise.

6. Live intentionally. 

Jim Rohn

My motto is to simply be 1% better every day. Commit to building habits that your future self will thank you for.

7. Have body-positivity. 

Taylor Smith

This goes hand in hand with tip number 3. Appreciate your journey towards a stronger, happier, more confident version of yourself. Do your best to appreciate your body and progress at every stage. Since this is your journey, your opinion is all that matters.

Healthy self-love is developed by honoring your integrity and staying true to yourself. Implement these 7 actions into your day and you'll begin to notice how a positive relationship with yourself can change the course of your self-esteem, attitude, and, eventually, your life.

In summary: Be your biggest fan!