Don't Treat Your Real Heart Like A Paper Heart

The Fragility Of The Heart

99
Kelly Sikkema

Is it the mind that really controls us? Or is it the heart that affects us in a greater way? The heart effects the way we make decisions, the way we live our lives, the way we choose to see others and the world around us.

How is it that when you are in a complete bliss that your mind is somehow lost and a flood of pure happiness radiates from within making you feel like you are on top of the world? Your heart telling your lips to thin and to create a smile from ear to ear.

How is it that when anxiety and the nerves get the best of you, the blood within you no longer feels like it’s making it to your head - only pumping through your heart as fast as a hummingbird flaps its wings? Or the feeling of sadness where your thoughts no longer become logical but rather passionate and straight from the organ that keeps you alive.

Over the course of only one day, 115,200 of your heart beats are pushed through you - getting you through each and every day. Chambers, valves, veins, and arteries are just some of the inner workings and complexities that the heart has - making it so fragile and vital to our survival.

But how can something so fragile be so strong? Somehow putting up with our heartbreaks and heartaches that life throws in our direction. Physically, it is the one muscle that doesn’t stop working our entire lives until we take our last breath. As a muscle, it is doing a job that only it is meant to do involuntarily without asking us for anything in return except to just survive.

But what if we consciously start to make decisions and live a life that helps our passions, happiness, wants, desires, needs, ambitions, beliefs, and love come out purely from the heart - surpassing the complexities of the brain and what it tries to complicate.

There are two types of hearts: a real heart with intricacies and a stereotypical, symmetrical paper heart. A real heart is made for a purpose with one mission and is uniquely made for you. A paper heart is copied and manipulated. Let's start to focus on the one that really matters and choose to not treat the real one as if it were paper thin that can be balled up and thrown away.

Our hearts are always working hard for our sake, but are we always reciprocating and working our hardest to safeguard it? Some of the mishaps in our lives, when it comes to heartbreaks and heartaches, can be because of our irresponsibility but the majority of the time our hearts are put in the hands of others.

We have no say in what another person with do with the one thing that we should keep closest to us. Somehow it's the one and the only thing that we still choose to give to others no matter what.

Choose wisely from this point on, whether it be in relationships or friendships, start to decide what is best for your heart because it is the one thing that we take for granted and treat much too harshly. If you treat your heart incorrectly then it allows others to do the same. Start to love yourself enough to choose you.