For the Days When Existing is Hard

For the Days When Existing is Hard

Mind over matter.

1122
For the Days When Existing is Hard

For the days when you wake up and wonder if getting out of bed is worth it. For the days when you wake up, get out of bed, and have to keep reminding yourself to breathe. For the days when you lay in bed for hours struggling to fall asleep and wonder why it's so hard to just be a person, even if you're not doing anything. For the days when you want to give up and let your mind win. This list is for those days.

Drink really good coffee (or tea).

Even if it costs you upwards of $5, you deserve it on the days it gets hard. Wraps your hands around the cup and let the heat (or coldness) blanket your palms. Remember that feeling.

Immerse yourself in a good book.

It could be your favorite book, or you can ask your friends for suggestions. If you can't exist in this world, let yourself get caught up in another world for a while. It'll make things easier for you.

Listen to music.

If you're tired of your music, find a playlist on Spotify or YouTube and just let it play. Listen to music and just enjoy how everything flows so beautifully together.

Take a hot shower.

Sit in the tub and let the water roll down your back. Breathe the steam in and focus on how warm the water is.

Let your friends in.

You don't have to tell them that you're struggling, but don't close them off. Hang out with them and let them remind you of what love and compassion feel like.

Watch bad movies.

Find a movie with a horrible rating on Netflix, and put it on. Let the movie play in the background of your thoughts and if it draws you in, allow yourself to get attached to the characters and experience their emotions with them.

Eat comfort food.

Buy that pint of vanilla ice cream and eat it all by yourself. Everyone deserves to eat food that makes them feel good when they're having a rough time. Let the comfort food remind you of the small things in life and how incredible they can make you feel.

Feel in extremes.

When it gets hard to experience your emotions, turn to physical feelings. Let your a/c or fan nearly freeze your fingers and toes, let the mug that your coffee is in nearly burn your palms. Remember these feelings when you have those days - they are there to let you know that you do exist, even if it is terribly difficult to remind yourself of that fact.