Football: A Quick Beginner's Guide

Football: A Quick Beginner's Guide

Everything you need to know as the college season starts

25
Football: A Quick Beginner's Guide
GatorCountry.com

Ladies and gentlemen, tailgate season is upon us. It's time to get out your college gear and check your team's roster; it's college football season. With college football season starting this week, anticipation is high and people are getting rowdy. Everyone wants to join in on the fun and support their favorite team, but no one wants to sound stupid while commenting on the game. To help those who are new to watching the sport, or just never cared to learn, I've composed a list of "must-WA knows" to help you get through a game. Disclaimer: this list is not going to teach you everything, but it should help.

1. How to get points:

A field goal occurs when a player kicks the ball through the uprights from any distance. If the ball makes it through the uprights, three points are rewarded to the team.

When one team manages to get the football in the end zone, appropriately named as it is the giant space at both ends of the field, they get a touchdown. A touchdown, or TD, is six points and usually causes massive celebration. An extra point occurs only after a touchdown. Another play takes place when the kicker must kick the ball through the uprights (like a field goal) from a set distance. Although it is like a field goal, it is only worth one point as opposed to 3.

If a player is tackled in their own endzone, the other team gets a safety. A safety is worth 2 points and can sometimes make the difference between winning or losing in the end.

2. Penalties:

There are too many penalties to list out but the basics to know are: offsides, false start and holding. Offsides occur when a player "is nearer to his opponents' goal line than both the ball and the second last opponent." If this happens, the other team is offered a free kick from where the infringement occurred. A false start is when a player moves before the ball is snapped. If this happens, there is a 5-yard penalty and the down is replayed. Holding is when a player excessively restrains another player who doesn't have the ball. This results in a 10-yard penalty.

3. Amount of players on the field:

At all times, there are 11 players on offense and 11 on defense. Offense is when a team is trying to score points. Defense is when a team is trying to keep the other team from scoring points.

4. The main positions to know:

The quarterback is the player who almost always has the ball while the team is on offense. He/she usually has the strongest arm on the team and can throw the farthest and most accurately. The wide receiver is the fastest player on the team and often receives the throw from the quarterback. The wide receiver is often the person to score a touchdown. The running back is also fast and is involved in plays where the quarterback hands off the ball, instead of throwing it. All of the players mentioned thus far play offense. The main defensive position to know for defense is the linebackers. The linebackers are often the bigger players on the team and provide a line of defense so the other team cannot move the ball forward easily. Linebackers are usually tall and wide, not the type of people you want to mess with. Also, the kicker and punter are the guys who kicks field goals and punt, obviously.

5. Choose a team and root for them... hard:

If you're at a game, or just watching one, choose a side and go hard. As long as you're trying your best to understand what's going on and you're having fun, no one is going to judge you (probably). So get excited, gather some friends and go tailgating and to the game. Have fun!