Food Traveler’s Guide: The Village

Food Traveler’s Guide: The Village

Your stomach is going to thank you

11
Food Traveler’s Guide: The Village

Dearest Foodies,

All of the wonders of New York City cannot possibly be visited in one day. This magical city needs both time and commitment from its visitors to appreciate all it has to offer. However, to get you started, I offer you a guide to the Village, a part of New York worthy of at least a day of dedicating exploring.

Breakfast (if you like dessert for breakfast).

The best place to go for unique breakfast and dessert options in the Village is the Dominque Ansel Bakery, home of the cronut. Commonly seen in Dunkin' Donuts, now, the half croissant, half doughnut sweet breakfast treat has people lining up around the block. People wait hours for these babies, even though they are only promise at most two. Ideally, you must stop by once in a while to sample each monthly flavor, because once you try one, you’ll be hooked.

Dominque Ansel Bakery offers a slew of other delectable treats such as the cookie shot, mini madeleine cookies, flavored meringues, and cotton soft cheesecake. After waiting in line for hours, a customer has no will power to prevent them from purchasing everything in sight. Located at 189 Spring Street.

Mid-morning food break.

The best way to shave those calories off is to take a brisk walk through the village to Washington Square Park. As one of the cities’ best known public parks, Washington Square Park acts as a hub of culture, music and art. On any given day, visiting the park means being surrounded by a very colorful group of people doing everything from performing to feeding pigeons that rest on shoulders. The park is a great place to relax, loosen your waist band, and be free from judgment.

Lunch

Now that you have hopefully worked up an appetite again, stop by Jane Restaurant. Situated on W. Houston St. where many Village wonders can be found, Jane offers the greatest American food. The must tries are…

• Burrata Parmesan: The perfect appetizer of fried cheese, thick tomato sauce and bread.
  • Avocado Toast: Poached eggs, loaded with avocado on delish organic whole wheat bread- this dish is perfect to share
  • Toasted Ricotta Gnocchi with white truffle crèma: Of all the food I have been blessed to have tried, this dish is by far the best. There is no way to describe how delish it is, thus everyone must try it.
  • Vanilla Bean French Toast: If you pass on bread and crème brûlée batter, you are doing life wrong.
  • Pumpkin Pie in a Jar: Graham cracker, homemade whipped cream, and candied sugar cherries on top smooth pumpkin purée.

All in all, come with a big group to enjoy a bite of everything. Located at 100 W. Houston Street.

Dinner (to go)

Take dinner home. Since you’re probably already stuffed from a long day of eating and very little disgusting, take out if the way to go from Raffetto’s Pasta. This little, old school pasta shop has everything you could want from an authentic Italian meal. Whether you would like to get fresh pasta cut for you upon request, fresh ravioli, or another entrée, Raffetto’s is the premier pasta place in the Village.

The fresh pasta flavors will blow your mind as well as you try dishes you never thought you would eat. Lemon, squid ink, chestnut, lemon-red pepper, saffron, mushroom and the best -- chocolate! Who knew there were so many ways to enjoy pasta? Located at 144 W. Houston Street.

Dessert (to go).

While you’re in the neighborhood, get some macarons at Francois Payard. Just down the street from Raffetto’s Pasta, visitors can find the perfect dessert to accompany your dinner at home. And if you didn’t have enough doughnut hybrids for the day, Francois Payard also has a macaron donut, an American take on a French classic.

Well fellow foodie, I hope you enjoy your day eating your way through the Village. The Village is such an extraordinary place, especially for food. Even if you do not follow my recommendations, you can stop in any place that looks good and be immensely satisfied. I urge you to get something you wouldn’t normally get, eat something super weird, and enjoy. Located at 116 W. Houston Street.

Xx,
Fellow Foodie.