Focusing On Yourself Doesn't Make You Selfish

Sometimes the best thing you can do for yourself is take some time and focus on yourself. Focus on what you want in life and how you are going to reach what you want.

136
Aryn Edwards

Sometimes the best thing you can do for yourself is to take some time and focus on yourself. Focus on what you want in life and how you are going to reach what you want.

College is the best time to do this. You have a little more responsibility than ever before and it's time to start learning more about yourself. I've learned that putting yourself first every now and then doesn't necessarily mean you're selfish. You can focus on your relationship with God or your studies. I'll say it again: focusing on yourself doesn't always mean you're selfish. Taking time to figure out what you want in life is what college is for, I mean, other than getting an education. It's to find out what you want to do with that education, and find people that you want surround yourself with. It's about learning about yourself and that just makes you human.

It's important to know who you are and what you want in life because if you don't know these things, then life isn't going to be very easy. Learning what you want at a young age is so so so important. Focusing on yourself or as so many people say "being selfish" is how you accomplish this. You don't always decide to focus on yourself, sometimes that decision is made for you, but either way it's something we all need to do. We all need to take a step back from our lives that go a million miles an hour and look at what our lives look like. Do you like the view? Is this what you want your future to look like? If not, GO OUT AND CHANGE IT!

Right now, in college, is the time to do just that. I've learned that the more your try to focus only on what others want the more you lose a little bit of yourself. Coming from a girl that always tries to put those I love before myself, take some time for yourself. For me, this looks like a hot bubble bath with candles and music, but for others it may be going for that mile long run every day or reading a book. You should do at least one thing EVERY SINGLE DAY that makes you unbelievably happy. Don't think for one second that that makes you selfish. It just makes you human. And let me tell you taking that little bit of time out of every day to do whatever it is that makes you happy will change your outlook on what you want your life to be like.