Live For The Now

Live For The Now

Don't waste today looking towards the future.

29
Live For The Now
Heart, Mind, and Soul Care

In American society, we are constantly looking towards the future. It begins with our parents' dreams for us, which usually consist of obtaining jobs that allow us to live comfortably and happily. Of course, nowadays, such a job almost invariably requires a college education. So since childhood, we are groomed by our parents to become the perfect college applicants: we are placed in extra-curricular activities, pushed to make good grades, and prepped for tests such as the SAT and the ACT. Ultimately, this incessant preparing is needed if one is to be accepted into a decent college. And with the price of college today, scholarships are usually necessary if one wishes to remain free from debt, which adds additional pressure to perfect one's résumé.

So by the time we are high school students and are aware of everything which is at stake, looking towards the future is incredibly overwhelming. But at the same time, if we refrain from aspiring towards success, we fear we will not be able to attain decent jobs. So we continue to aim towards our goals, and by the time we reach college the burden becomes greater — now, we have finances to concern ourselves with. College is often such a drain on the incomes of one's parents, one's belief in the value of money and, by extent, wish to obtain a high-paying job, is solidified. This only increases the pressure one feels, and the objective of someday living comfortably is cemented as one's own goal, rather than as the goal of one's parents.

With this vast amount of energy spent preparing for the future, beginning in childhood and possibly never subsiding, we may fail to enjoy our lives. Drained by constant test prepping, studying, and planning one's path, a social life is often out of reach or void of substantial meaning. Of course, it is important to plan for one's future, but focusing all of one's resources on a what "will be" rather than what one is experiencing now may lead one to question his/her goals. If someone spends all his/her time preparing for the future, it seems to never be within reach. After all, there is always something new to work for: first graduating high school, then going to college, later getting a job and finding a spouse. Goals never subside; there are always new prospects on the horizon.

If we spend all our time pursuing these dreams, we forget to cherish what is presently occurring in our lives. We may have active social lives, but they may not be fulfilling. We may use these social connections for personal gain or even just to forget about the stress of mapping our futures.

With this in mind, take a step back. Ponder what makes you happy and try to engage in those activities. Don't lose sight of the future, but don't live for it. If you live for the future, you forget to be happy now. So if there is something you truly wish to do, whether or not it will benefit you in the long run, do it. At the risk of sounding cliché: we only get one chance to live our lives, so it is best not to waste any opportunities because we are too busy preparing for the future. Happiness in the future is important, but happiness now is equally valuable. Remember: you have control over your present, as well as your future. Don't allow yourself to be a passive in the story of your life; exert your authority.

We are often taught it is best to put others first. While this is a noble lesson, it is sometimes favorable to prioritize one's own, current well-being. Rather than constantly striving for our long-term goals, which are often based on the expectations of others, we should focus on completing tasks and taking part in events that make us happy. After all, if we fail to look out for our own happiness, who will?