Flyers Roster Outlook: #3 Radko Gudas

Flyers Roster Outlook: #3 Radko Gudas

A hard hitting defensive defensmen playing a big role for the Flyers.

14
Flyers Roster Outlook: #3 Radko Gudas
www.LetsGoFlyers.net

Welcome back to the Flyers Roster Outlook! Today We will be covering the 2nd most feared Flyer on the ice, Radko Gudas! This guy can lay some nasty hits, while racking up points on the scoreboard as well. He did so well with the Flyers in his first year with them, that it earned him a contract extension last summer. With a four-year, $13.4 million contract, fans get to continue watching him lay out some out the biggest hits in the NHL. The only problem is though, can Gudas learn to control how hard his hits are?

Before we answer that question, let's do a little background on Gudas first. During his junior hockey career, Gudas played in the Czech Extraliga with the HC Kladno. He was selected by the Everett Silvertips of the WHL, 20th overall in the first round of the CHL Import Draft. He played their for one season earning 7 goals, 30 assists for a total of 37 points, he also earned a total of 151 penalty minutes. He would then go on and participate in his first NHL training camp with the Tampa Bay Lightning. The Lightning would reassign him to the Norfolk Admirals of the AHL, where he would play there for three seasons*. Earning a total of 15 goals, 42 assists, for a total of 57 points. He would also earn a total of 567 penalty minutes.

*Note that for the first two seasons Gudas played he played for the Admirals. After his second season their, the Lighting ended their affiliation with Norfolk and signed a contract with the Syracuse Crunch.

After his tenure in the AHL, Gudas would go on and start playing with the Lightning. During his time there he would notch 7 goals, 25 assists, for a total of 32 points. He also racked up a total of 306 penalty minutes. Then on March, 2nd 2015, Radko Gudas was traded along with a first and third round pick in the 2015 NHL Entry Draft to the Flyers for Brayden Coburn. That is a summary of Gudas' history hockey career, onto the questions!

Question 1). Can Gudas learning to control his hits?

A short answer to this would be hopefully. Back in December of 2015, Gudas was suspended three games for and illegal check to the head of Mika Zibanejad. Then less than a year later, Gudas was suspended six games for delivering an interfering hit to Austin Czarnik. After that he did learn to control his hits a bit, but he still has had some close calls. He is a good defensive defensemen that can change the momentum of the game real easily. If he doesn't learn to control his hits, he will soon have the same fate as Raffi Torres.

Question 2). How does Gudas make the Flyers a better team?

Pretty much what I said in the last question. He is a defensive defensemen who can lay a bit hit and change the momentum of the game. He can also rack up points in a game as well. Last year, Gudas notched four points in one game, that's not common for a defensemen like Gudas. Even though he isn't known for finding the back of the net, he can get a few good one timers that find their way back there. I feel like Gudas has a bigger role with the Flyers than he did with the Lightning. I can tell you for sure that the Flyers won that trade.

Question 3). How much longer can we see Gudas with the Flyers?

He is under contract until 2020-21 season, and after that I don't see him staying around for long. The Flyers will Provy, Ghost, Hagg, Morin, Sanhiem all playing on the Flyers. Maybe he might get a one year contract extension, but I don't see it being any longer. The future is bright for Philly, and I can see Gudas being part of history with the Flyers before he leaves the team.