The 9 Best Jobs for People Who Want to Be Their Own Boss

9 Ridiculously Flexible Jobs For Someone With A Crazy Schedule

Do you want to be your own boss?

62

With the creation of the smartphone and apps, many apps have been created that provide services to their consumers. These apps and websites, such as Uber and Lyft, contribute to a gig economy. A gig economy is one in which individuals are hired as independent contractors to work when the new hire can. In other words, these are jobs that you do not have a set schedule for and can do on your own time.

Gig economy jobs are flexible, easy, and often lucrative. I work for Shipt which is a grocery delivery service app/website. I love the flexibility that comes with scheduling myself and the ability to make good money!

The college student of today is often overwhelmed by homework, studying, organization meetings, student debt, and work. If students could work a position that is flexible to their schedule, such as delivering food for Doordash, they can make money on their own time and provide needed services to the community. I have listed out a few of my favorite gig economy jobs since I have done more than one of them.

Disclaimer: You will need a valid driver's license, a car, and insurance. You will also need to be able to pass a background check to get these jobs. Some of these jobs do not require an interview.

1. Shipt

facebook.com

This is a grocery shopping and delivery service. Customers can order from Target, Meijer, and Petco in the Ypsilanti area. When a customer orders, the shopper will shop and deliver the order. Pay is based on the size of the order and tips.

Shoppers who work for this company need to maintain certain stats; aside from that, the shoppers can choose when he/she would like to work. If you are going on a trip for a month, Shipt will be there for you when you come back!

I have completed over 850 shops with Shipt. I enjoy the houses I get to visit, the dogs I get to meet, and the people I am able to help.

2. DoorDash

facebook.com

DoorDash is a restaurant and fast food delivery service. Drivers for DoorDash are paid through tips and mileage reimbursement. A perk of this job is that you can do it with other people.

My boyfriend and I have completed orders for DoorDash; it is a quick way to make money and it gets you to travel around your community. In Ypsilanti, you also have the opportunity to shop at Walmart and make deliveries.

3. Instacart

flickr.com

I have heard good things about Instacart but I have never personally done it. Although I prefer Shipt, Instacart is another grocery delivery service in the area that allows their workers to shop for and deliver items to customers' homes.

Instacart allows customers to purchase from many Michigan stores such as Kroger, Sam's Club, Better Health, Fresh Thyme, Meijer, Aldi, CVS, and more!

4. GrubHub

facebook.com

Grubhub is another restaurant and food delivery service that may be in your area. I have heard from other DoorDash drivers that they prefer the pay with Grubhub. I have never applied for the position so I do not know which pays better. I do know that, like DoorDash, this company pays you in mileage reimbursement and tips.

5. Uber

facebook.com

This is the most classic gig economy job! Uber is a driving service like a taxi or a bus. With this company, an individual who is on schedule when he/she wants to be can accept or decline rides of varying distance. The drivers are paid from mileage reimbursement and tips. Uber also offers a service called UberEats where the drivers can make food deliveries.

6. Lyft

facebook.com

The competitor to Uber is Lyft. Although some sources say Lyft pays its employees more, I haven't done either job. I do know that they are both very well known in the gig economy space.

7. Rover.com

facebook.com

Rover.com is a platform for pet owners to hire sitters for their beloved animals. By filling out the details on this website, you get the ability to communicate with families who may be in need of sitters now or in the future. You could be working daily or occasionally for some clients. This job and the next are slightly different than the others I have written about; however, they can be flexible for young adults who are too busy for a traditional job.

8. Care.com

facebook.com

This website allows you to fill out a detailed profile to receive inquiries for openings to work with individuals with disabilities, children, seniors, pets, and more. If you meet the qualifications someone is looking for (such as being certified in CPR), you may receive an email asking to schedule a meeting. The jobs could be daily or occasionally.

9. Postmates

facebook.com

One of the first gig economy jobs I signed up for was Postmates (no interview process); however, at the time it was not quite in the area I wanted to work in. Postmates claims that you can get anything from any store; they often charge a large fee to cover this.

Now that I know more about Postmates, I think it would be too overwhelming to go to so many different stores. I prefer having fewer stores to go to with Shipt.

With this job, you can use a bicycle! The payment for Postmates is more complex but it seems to be in line with DoorDash and Grubhub pay.

I did not address the pay scale with these companies because, in my experience, the average pay is not always a good reflection of how much you can truly make! If you are interested in knowing how much people making with these jobs per hour on average, there are many articles online going over that information.

Whether you want to be your own boss, need a flexible schedule because you are just too busy to work, or enjoy grocery shopping for people (this is so me) these jobs are a great way to make money on your own time! You can go without working for these companies for months so long as you maintain good stats when you do work. Just be prepared to spend money on gas and add mileage to whatever vehicle you have!