5 Ways The Eagles' Defense Can Succeed

5 Ways The Eagles' Defense Can Succeed

With new free agent signings and a new defensive coordinator, Philly's defense is trending up.

7
5 Ways The Eagles' Defense Can Succeed
trbimg.com

Last season, the Philadelphia Eagles had a 4-4 record heading into a three-game stretch against the Miami Dolphins, Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Detroit Lions. This was supposed to be the time the Birds got back on track, ran through these opponents and pushed their way to the top of the division. Instead, the reverse happened. Philly lost all three, getting outscored 110-50 in the process and dashing hopes of a potential playoff berth.

During the 2015-16 campaign, the Eagles defense under former coordinator Billy Davis allowed an average of 401.6 yards per game (third worst in the league) and 26.9 points per game (fifth worst), while committing the third most penalties in the NFL with 123. This abysmal display led to the firing of Davis, with former Buffalo Bills defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz being ushered in as the new DC.

With several free agent signings this past offseason and Schwartz's hiring, the Eagles will look to regain some momentum as a top defensive team in the NFC East, because fans know there isn't much reason for optimism on the offensive side of the ball (looking at you, Sam Bradford). Players such as safety Rodney McLeod, cornerback Leodis McKelvin and linebacker Nigel Bradham will all be looked towards to make an immediate impact.

Here are five ways the Eagles defense can succeed in 2016:

1. Change of scheme under Schwartz proves to be beneficial.

After three years as a two-gap 3-4 defense under Davis, the Eagles will have to adjust once again as Schwartz is bringing with him a 4-3 "under" defensive scheme. This adjustment should be a welcome one to players such as Connor Barwin and Fletcher Cox, who will be able to play in their natural positions on the defensive line.

2. Cox confirms money well spent.

Perhaps no member of the Eagles defense will benefit more from the addition of Schwartz than Cox, who recently signed a contract extension for six years, $103 million ($63 million guaranteed). Coming off a year in which he finished with 9.5 sacks and earned his first trip to the Pro Bowl, Cox will be closely watched to contribute even more as he will be returning to his old role as a defensive tackle, most likely alongside Bennie Logan. Cox was handed the biggest contract to a non-quarterback in NFL history, so the production must be there. No pressure, Fletch.

3. Hicks bounces back from injury.

When linebackers Kiko Alonso and Mychal Kendricks were sidelined with injuries, rookie linebacker Jordan Hicks was forced to step in and make an impact immediately. Much to the delight of Eagles fans, the third-round draft pick from the University of Texas delivered. In his debut against the Dallas Cowboys, he provided a much-needed boost of energy, recording seven tackles, a forced fumble and a sack (which just so happened to be the sack that broke Tony Romo's collarbone). After several impressive games, Hicks suffered an unfortunate injury in week nine, tearing his pectoral and ending his season while leading the team in tackles. With Alonso and Demeco Ryans no longer on the team, Hicks will be looked upon to step into the role of middle linebacker and pick up where he left off before getting injured.

4. Safety duo leads the secondary.

Last year, it was no secret that the glaring weakness of the Eagles defense was it's secondary. This year, Jenkins and the hard-hitting McLeod could turn those misfortunes around. McLeod, who is entering his first season as an Eagle after signing a five-year, $37 million deal, spent his first four years in Saint Louis with the Rams and has the potential to be a nice compliment to Jenkins in the secondary.

5. Cornerback situation gets sorted out.

Besides Jenkins/McLeod, defensive success for the Eagles will also hinge on whether or not they can improve at the cornerback position. Eagles fans still have nightmares of former Lions wide receiver Calvin Johnson making then-rookie Eric Rowe look silly on Thanksgiving, but the bad moment don't stop there. With training camp set to begin later in the month, it will be very interesting to see how Schwarz approaches this dilemma. McKelvin and Ron Brooks played for him at Buffalo, while Rowe must make positive strides towards becoming an every down CB. There's also Nolan Carroll, JaCorey Shepherd and rookie Jalen Mills, so it will be up to Schwartz to get the most out of these guys in a division that consists of Odell Beckham, Dez Bryant and Jordan Reed.