Five Non Academic Things I Have Learned In College

In college you learn something new everyday.

22
YouTube

College can be the best four years of your life. It can also be a time where you learn a lot of different things. Here are some of those that I've learned.

Limits:

• Since I somehow survived my first year at college, I learned a lot about how far I can push myself. I now know how long I need to study in order to receive high grades on exams (a very long time). I learned how much I can pack my schedule. Learning how to make a schedule that fits your needs and goals is something that you could highly benefit from.

What to keep with you daily:

• An umbrella. I keep a small umbrella in my book bag and it is a life saver. Since I go to school in the great state of Ohio the weather is always unpredictable. It can rain one day, be sunny the next and then snow the day after. You will thank yourself when you walk out of class to a lovely surprise rain shower.
  • A planner. I am a google calendar addict and I am not ashamed to say that my life revolves around it. I have my class schedule, work schedule and everything in between planned out so that I never miss something important. On top of that I keep a paper planner in my bag that I use to keep track of all my homework and assignments.
  • Water and food. There have been many times when I go to meet people after class to study or when I am sitting in class and my stomach starts growling. I always try to keep something small in my bag to hold me over until I can eat an actual meal. Water is also something that is always great to have with you at all times.

Coffee is your best friend, learn to love it now:

• Coffee has gotten me through some of the hardest of 8 am lectures and it is there for me when I get to my later classes as well. Is it the healthiest thing to consume multiple times a day? Probably not, but it keeps me awake and keeps me focused.

How to create the greatest friendships:

• I have been so lucky to meet my greatest friends while I have been in college. We are all experiencing similar things and we can all relate about the college struggles. I met my best friend on the first day of my first year at orientation and she has been there for me since. I have made more true friendships in my short time at college than in my long four years in high school.

How to find yourself:

• In this past year and a half I have learned so much about myself. I have been able to form my own beliefs and values. I have made my own mistakes and learned how to grow from them. I now know that not everyone is going to agree with you and you won’t agree with everyone but you can learn how to listen to them and agree to disagree.

Since I have been in college so far I have learned that what people say is right. College is and will be the greatest four years of your life.