Fitness Alternatives For The Gym Hater

Fitness Alternatives For The Gym Hater

A list of noteworthy fitness alternatives in Los Angeles for those of you who hate going to the gym.

61
Fitness Alternatives For The Gym Hater

We all know the dreaded freshman 15, and some of us may have even lived it. Juggling schoolwork and a social life are difficult enough without having to make time for exercising and keeping fit. But as college students, we now have the duty to take care of our own bodies and ensure that we stay healthy and strong. If you're like me, however, the idea of hitting the gym is a little more than unappealing. Running on the treadmill or lifting weights by yourself can often become a boring routine. But in this day and age, there is a multitude of gym alternatives that you can take up where you'll be able to not only keep fit but also find a community of like-minded people. Here are some gym alternatives for you to consider:

1. Aerial Fitness

Aerial silks and hammocks have lately been increasingly popular as a fitness alternative, with celebrities like Janel Parrish and Troian Bellisario taking up the sport. Their Instagram accounts often feature beautiful silhouettes of them tangled gracefully in aerial silks. If you've always wanted to try your hand at aerial fitness, you can now do so! There are a couple of aerial fitness programs in Los Angeles, such as Jagged Vertical Dance & Fitness, but one that I've personally gone to is AIR Aerial Fitness. Located in West Hollywood, AIR Aerial Fitness is an intense aerial fitness training program that fuses "athletic conditioning with yoga, ballet and Pilates on aerial silk hammocks," according to their website.

The program is designed to strengthen, lengthen, and tone your physique and will definitely help improve your flexibility. I've taken a few classes here, and I've definitely fallen in love with aerial fitness. Despite how beautiful the poses look in photographs, they require a lot of hard work and pain to actually get there. The space itself is very modern and Zen-like, and the instructors are fun and encouraging. However, the class moves kind of fast, and sometimes the instructors don't have time to help you out with a move if the class is crowded. But they always welcome you to stay back and nail the move if you want to, and take photographs for you!

2. Muay Thai, Kickboxing, or Mixed Martial Arts

If you prefer something that's a little more focused on cardio and energy-releasing, taking up Muay Thai, kickboxing, or MMA can be a good alternative for you. I've also personally tried this and am currently enrolled in the Muay Thai program at PKG Training Center, located in West L.A. PKG also offers other programs like boxing, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and mixed martial arts. Martial arts fitness programs have definitely been growing in popularity as well, and they're a great way for you to release your stress. The classes I've taken at PKG usually entail sparring with a partner where you practice attack and defense combos, and then do strength and conditioning at the end of the class where you do sets, like medicine ball burpees, sit-ups, and more.

It's a really great workout and I love the sense of community I get from it. Furthermore, it also teaches you discipline and the instructor is always going around making sure you're getting your form and technique right. The only bad thing about PKG is that it requires you to sign a one-year contract, but there are plenty of other training centers that probably have a different system.

3. Pilates

Pilates is probably a pretty popular alternative, but I just wanted to put this one out there. Upon going to my first Pilates class, I can't help but think that the Pilates machines look more like torture machines -- and I was about to find out how much alike they actually are to torture machines. In a Pilates class, you'll basically get hooked up to the machine through straps around your ankles or hands that provide resistance and weight as you do sets. Needless to say, the class was challenging and was definitely a great workout that can improve flexibility, build strength, and develop control and endurance of your entire body as it often requires you to focus on one area of your body -- which is really difficult! -- in each set. The Pilates class I took was at EDEN Pilates located in Beverly Hills, and it has a really pretty and modern space filled with natural light and really great instructors.

4. Surfset Fitness

If you watch "Shark Tank," you might have seen an episode that showed a new fitness invention called the Surfset. Now located in West Hollywood, Surfset officially has a gym that allows you to "work out while remaining gentle on your joints," making it a great class for anyone who might need something a little more low impact. According to its website, Surfset mimics the physical demands of surfing, including balance, strength, and cardio, and is a total body workout that challenges your balance and stabilizer muscles to create a lean and strong physique. I haven't taken this class personally, but it's something that's on my list that I definitely want to give a try!

5. Lyra Hoop Fitness

For those of you who don't know what a Lyra hoop is, think back to all those circus acts you've watched, and recall the performers swinging and hanging from a circular hoop suspended in the air. The Lyra hoop is that circular hoop, and here in Los Angeles, you can try your hand at Lyra hoop fitness, where you will how to hang, wrap, twist, and mount an aerial hoop. This may sound a little daunting, but of course, there are beginner classes that help ease you into the program and slowly expose you to it. Similar to aerial fitness, the Lyra hoop will definitely strengthen your arms and core and improve your flexibility. I haven't taken this class personally either, but I know Jagged Vertical Dance & Fitness located in West L.A. offers the class, and it's something that I'm definitely going to give a try as well!