Fire In The Mountains Of Tennessee

Fire In The Mountains Of Tennessee

What do you do while your heart burns?

20
Fire In The Mountains Of Tennessee
Great Smoky Mountain National Park Service

My heart is on fire. It must be the smoke that is making me choke up this way, and the burning in my lungs is some combination of a longing for air and a deep, profound sadness.

The Great Smoky Mountain National Park is on fire. Many of my fondest childhood memories were made in the mountains near Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg. I remember driving to scenic lookouts to take family photos, hiking and looking for wild animals. These mountains were where I saw my first white-tailed deer, my first bear and even my first snow. I remember earning my Junior Park Ranger badge with my little brother and wearing it proudly on future trips.

I remember going to Pigeon Forge before it was quite as touristy as it has become. We would go to Pigeon Forge Pottery and watch them make pottery right before our eyes, then go home with ceramic black bears to remind us of the trip. We bought postcards and pictures to remind us of our love for these mountains in the long intervening months where we went back home to Louisiana.

Eventually, the call of the mountains became too strong and I moved to the Smokies myself in 2014. The very northeast corner of Tennessee may not be quite as picturesque as the National Park or the Blue Ridge Parkway, but it situates me an easy drive to many beautiful spots and I have failed to get used to just how beautiful this part of the country truly is. I am so happy that I decided to make these mountains my home. I have introduced my son to some of the same joys that I experienced and brought him into the National Park for the first time earlier this year, and spent a couple of great days in Gatlinburg.

And now, from 100 miles away, I am seeing all of those memories literally up in flame. Forest fires are a natural thing that is part of the life cycle, burning away old, dead wood and allowing new to grow in its place, but the emotional connection with this place feels like it is burning me up inside. I feel for the families who have lost their homes, the businesses who are starting from the ground up again and the people who lost their lives as well as their families. My only hope is that this will be an opportunity for all of us who love these mountains to come together to make our place here more wonderful than ever.

If you are interested in supporting the rebuilding effort, TEMA is asking that groups not to travel directly into the area to deliver supplies. They are still assessing the needs of the community as it rebuilds. Immediate assistance can be made to the American Red Cross as they provide food and shelter to those persons who have evacuated their homes.

Johnson City has designated Memorial Park Community Center and Carver Recreation Center as drop-off locations for the following items: bottled water and sports drinks, first-aid supplies, blankets, tissue packs, ink pens and notebooks, crayons and coloring books and toothpaste and toothbrushes. These items will be delivered to Sevier County for delivery. Please keep in mind that other household items will only be a hindrance in this time as people are displaced from their homes.

The Holston Conference of United Methodist Churches has set up a giving page to help the Sevier County fire victims at http://holston.org/wildfires.