Finding The Humanity In DACA

Finding The Humanity In DACA

In the end, we are all the same.

1053
Finding The Humanity In DACA

In this current political climate, it is easy to become indifferent to the various laws and policies being rescinded because they do not directly affect most of us. One immigration policy that is being rescinded is DACA. This policy allows undocumented immigrants who were brought into the United States as children to be protected from deportation.

To many, ending the DACA program might seem like a good thing. We, as a country, want people to enter legally and go through the proper vetting process.

Unfortunately, this is a more complicated topic than what meets the eye. When we think of DACA or the DREAM Act, we don't necessarily think about the people and the lives that are forever changed if these programs go away. This is where theatre comes into play. I believe that theatre is an important way to learn about the world around us. Plays and musicals often give us an insight into the problems occurring in our world and make us connect with them on a more personal level. It brings the humanity and emotions that are left out on the daily news.

Very recently, I had the opportunity to see the musical "Miss Saigon", a love story between an American G.I. named Chris and a young orphan, Kim, during the Vietnam War. The show depicts the fall of Saigon, where Kim is left behind as the gates of the American embassy close. As the first Act ends, Kim leaves to go to Bangkok as a refugee of war with her son,Tam. As the show goes on, you see the exploitation and horrible tragedies that happen when people are forced to find ways to survive.

In the second act, there is a beautiful song called "Bui Doi" which refers to the children left behind by the soldiers stationed there. The literal translation of these words is "dust of life" because they were the ones forgotten in the midst of all the chaos. These children were innocent and the only crime they had committed was being born. This song reminded me a lot of the children that we refer to as Dreamers, who had no choice on where they would be taken to. They, much like these Vietnamese children, are born into certain circumstances but have no say in what is happening to them.

At the end of "Miss Saigon", Kim makes the decision to end her life so that Chris will take her child to America. Much like any parent, she only wanted what was best for her child and would do anything to make his life better. Like Kim, many of the Dreamers that are in our country are here because their parents wanted them to have a better life.

Many politicians have dehumanized the people that rely on this program. Dreamers are just like you and me. They go to school, serve in our military and are just trying to live life as good human beings. Many of them have even applied to be citizens but the process takes years and they are just waiting for the day when they can finally call themselves citizens of this great nation.

America has always been seen as a beacon of light to the rest of the world. Our country gives people all over the world a sense of hope that there are places where dreams can become realities. Whether its 1975 or 2018, the same problems and dilemmas constantly occur especially on the subject of immigration. It is our job as citizens to have compassion and sympathy for the voices that can't always be heard. In spite of all the news articles that just list the facts, I urge you to find the humanity in what is currently happening in our nation. Look out for the Tam's of the world, the forgotten, the Dreamers.