How "Finding Dory" Is Like Your College Experience

Just keep swimming!

350
Disney-Pixar

Pixar and Walt Disney Pictures have done it again. After 13 years, “Finding Nemo” finally got with a sequel! So if you are like me, you logged into your Cinopolis Smartphone App on June 17, the second tickets went on sale, and bought two to the premier, forcing your boyfriend to accompany you.

As I was watching this imaginative and magical tale, which brought up major nostalgia to when I watched Finding Nemo at age nine, I couldn't help but notice how much I had in common with the wide eyed and forgetful blue tang, Dory. Something has me feeling as a college student at a large university that I may not be alone in this. Spoiler alert, if you are just starting out in college and feel lost now, relax because this movie has a happy ending, as I’m sure yours will too. Here are some other ways that this movie might mirror your college experience:

1. At home looking at shells, just trying not to get swept away by the current.

At the start of “Finding Dory,” you see the unbelievably adorable baby Dory, with her long lost Mom and Dad. They are distracting her from the chaos going on around her water by having her find beautiful shells. They are trying to keep young Dory from getting swept away by the current.

Your parents all did this to you too! If you didn't yet realize it yet, your parents signed you up for all of those ballet classes, summer camps, and football teams as a kid to keep you occupied and on a positive path (aka out of trouble)! Yes, they needed you out of the house for a few hours, but they also wanted to see you built up instead of being swept away by the current of life (see what I did there?).

2. Losing Mom & Dad.

Yes, now for the part of the movie that made my 4-year-old cousin cry and run out of the theater in tears, baby Dory lost her Mom and Dad. She later forgot how because of her short term memory loss, the only thing she can always remember, but that didn't stop her from crying out HELP.

This sad little Dory was probably you on your first day at your new college. Out of state or not, you just gained a new sense of independence without your parents constantly knocking - that's a little scary at first. And even if you don't want to admit it, I’m sure you missed them just a little.

3. Feeling lost and confused, not knowing where you're going.

Poor Dory went through life always lost, confused, and sadly mostly alone because as quickly as she said something to somebody new, she just as quickly forgot. She was always asking for directions to who knows where, didn't know much of what was going on around her, and just plain and simple was lost (we feel for you D!).

Although you may not be a little blue fish or have memory problems, this was you when first starting college! With my lack of natural born navigational skills and ability to literally get lost in even familiar territory, this was definitely me! You probably frequently asked random students where things were or if there was a Starbucks around (to save your sanity of course). You may have gotten cold responses, but just a little tip I later found out, they probably didn't know where that building was either and were probably just as lost and confused as you were.

4. Meeting your best friends by accident.

So here’s Dory, not a shark in the way or a worry in the sea, as she sees a boat bob overhead. Rapidly following is a freaking out orange fish, Marlin (Nemo’s dad) who swims straight into her, knocking them both back into a cloud of bubbles. You know the rest, the premise of the entire first movie: “Did you see a boat?” “Yeah I saw a boat!”

This was most likely you, meeting your best friends by accident. You may have accidentally stole their drink from Starbucks, stood behind them in line, ran into them (literally) in the quad, borrowed their iPhone charger in the library, whatever. Odds are you didn't mean to meet the people who turned into your future BFFs (I know I didn't)- I met my best friend in the line to go into initiation for our sorority, aka the unknown and never to be talked about occurrence (but yay we survived)!

5. Best friends become roommates.

Dory and Marlin in hopes of finding Nemo, end up crashing at the same sea anemone every night, as best friends of course (PG movie, remember).

If you spent your freshman year of college in the dorms, sharing a cardboard box with no AC or closet space with four other strangers, fantasizing about the day when you could move out into a townhouse/apartment with your real best friends I’m sure was a regular occurrence until it became a reality. So yay for you, if this is your current situation! And if you are still in the dorms, well, there is a light at the end of the tunnel, I promise.

6. At first, you're awkward in new groups.

At first, as forgetful Dory tries desperately to get along with fellow fish around her she usually gets the cold shoulder. Her class tries to get her kicked out of a field trip with Mr. Ray, but somehow doesn't get the hint. Well, at least she is a good sport!

Forming those study groups in Honors Calculus… Enough said. Don't worry though, your real friends love you!

7. Realizing you can’t remember anything.

For Dory, forgetting everything is new…

You may have been in honors classes and gotten straight A’s your entire life, but now this is a whole different open ocean. You may come to realize you are forgetting due dates, assignments, coffee study groups, or even to shower. When you come to this realization, don't get bogged down do as Dory does: “Just Keep Swimming!”

8. Going on some kind of personal journey.

As Dory stares off into the Great Barrier Reef she randomly and surprisingly, remembers something! WHAT? She comes to the both happy and sad realization that she does have a family. After begging Marlin and with Nemo’s manipulation skills the three unlikely fish set out on a quest to find the lost fish’s family.

Whatever it may be: learning a language, pushing yourself academically to the limit, stepping out into the world alone for the first time, learning to believe in and trust yourself, getting back up when things get difficult, overcoming adversity, finding your strength, making memories with new people, finding your passion, falling in love, or finding yourself we all do this in college. Up until this point for most of us college is the biggest personal journey we have gone on thus far. If you're here you made it and the world is literally your oyster.

9. Things get crazy.

You name it, the little fish in this movie do it. Riding on the backs of turtles, escaping a giant squid, flying willingly in the beak of an unlikely bird into an aquarium, outsmarting an interactive kids' exhibit, jumping through a water fountain, being escorted by an octopus in a coffee pot, hijacking a semi truck full of fish and sending all of those fish free into the ocean—if you can name it, Dory did it.

Just like the brave fish in “Finding Dory,” things will if they have not already get crazy for you in college too. They will be crazy good, like getting into your top sorority of choice. And crazy bad, like cramming for a test all night long only to get an unwanted grade. No matter what it may be, things will get crazy. But just like Nemo, Marlin and Dory their bravery always gets them through. It may sound corny, but trust me, Pixar and Disney (and me at times!) know what we are talking about.

10. People you meet along the way help you when you feel lost.

Dory, Marlin and Nemo are lucky enough to have the help of many sea animals on their quest to find Dory’s Mom and Dad.

In or out of the sea, life is a lot like this. In college when you feel lost there are those there to help you find your way. It can be the professor who stays late in office hours to help you understand the material, the counselor who reminds you to relax and stay focused, the random guy in the hall who tells you how to get to your lecture hall, or your friends who keep you up when you feel down.

11. You inspire others, people look to you for advice.

Nemo and Dory have a defining moment, and feel that there is no way out. It is Nemo who says, “Well, what would Dory do?” He points out her fearlessness and courageous spirit, and that in all situations despite all odds she perseveres and takes the road less traveled.

You may have come to find this too. Once the friends that you were crying to at 3 a.m. over a break up are now the ones asking you for advice. Crazy how that works right? It’s because of your can-do attitude and perseverance that made them trust and even look up to you. So hey get them back and help a friend out.

12. Coming to realizations about yourself.

What a soft moment when Nemo tells Dory what an inspiration she is to him and Marlin agrees. Talk about a motivational speech from a clown fish, jeez! Anyways, it makes Dory see what they see too, aka believe in herself!

College is a time when you will come to so many realizations about yourself. You will persevere through so much that you never thought you could, and I hope it makes you realize too to believe in yourself.

13. Friends turn into family.

Nemo and Marlin confess to Dory that she has become family (cue more waterworks). They have gone through so much together, and realized blood doesn't always define a family bond.

In college, this becomes clear. The friends that you make in college are for life. Who else has seen you grow up from an insecure, unsure, and awkward freshman into a senior ready to graduate with confidence in themselves, a life planned out, and bright future ahead. You got each other through it, and that makes you family.

14. When you return home, everything is different.

When Dory gets “home” to the fish tank in the aquarium that she spontaneously remembers as a baby blue tang, everything is different. The main difference, her parents are no longer there, making for another plot twist on D’s quest to find her Mom and Dad.

When you return home from college you may come to realize that everything is different too. You may move back in with your parents again and find out that they painted your room baby blue and turned it into a guest room, and try having them tell you what to do again (what’s a curfew?) Your friends from high school may have moved away, or even have kids now. Yes, you were gone for four or more years and things have changed.

15. You end up moving for whatever reason.

As Dory finally finds her “home” she moves again because her parents aren’t there. She seeks them out again and finds them. They all move to Marlin’s pad under the sea in the anemone; luckily they didn't have to pack much (ok bad joke).

Wherever life takes you after college, you may end up moving away for whatever reason. You may have just landed a new job in NYC (hopefully!) or are moving to Texas to be with your boyfriend at medical school. No matter what the reason, you may find a new place to call home, and that's ok.

16. One thing remains the same: your parents love you and never stopped loving, being proud, supporting, or fighting for you.

As Dory finally finds her mom and dad she finds a trail of shells that lead her to them. They said that everyday she was missing from their life, everyday for years, they collected shells and created a path from where they last saw her that would lead her home. They had hope and they never gave up that one day she would return home to them, and most of all never stopped loving her.

After your 4 years away at college, know that this is your parents too! Your parents never stopped loving you, supporting you, fighting for you, and being proud of you. The entire time you were away, they supported you and cheered you on through it all. They loved you every minute of the day and only let you go so they could see the child they raised succeed. As you grow older and your parents may literally no longer be there, you can look back on this and remember this: your parents will never stop loving you.

17. You gain a new appreciation for life, are thankful for everything, and never forget to enjoy the view.

As this long awaited sequel ends, Dory and Marlin look off into the Great Barrier Reef from their home in the sea anemone. It is a magical and emotional moment where they say they will never forget to enjoy the view. They will never forget what they went through, forget to be thankful for all that they have, or forget to enjoy the view of all that is in the life around them.

As you look back at your college experience and everything you have gone through and gained in your life because of it, you will never forget to be thankful for everything. All of the ups and downs in college have led you to where you are now. You come to appreciate all things in life, big and small. You feel blessed to have friends who have turned into family, and parents who you see now have always loved you unconditionally. At this point in your life when college is ending and your life is just beginning, you will never forget to stop enjoy the view.